Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Asunder Sunday

  • The world has gone to the, you know, the plural of what DJT allegedly like to grab, to wit: A four year old was suspended from pre-school for bringing a spent .22 rimfire casing to class.  I probably noted this in a prior post, but I once carried a .22 auto-loading pistol to class in my bookbag, where it stayed during the school day in my open faced locker at the back of the classroom.  No malicious intent, didn't brandish or show it to anyone.  Different times.
  • BoN guy recently had a post about punctuation, positing that the period ending a sentence should be followed by one - not two - spaces before beginning the next sentence.  The article he referenced was well written and documented, and made a compelling case for why this should be so.  Nonetheless, I prefer, and shall continue, to use two spaces following the period.  Period.
  • Speaking of BoNer: I thought his Chuck Berry tribute post - a nearly half-hour clip from the musician's appearance on the Tonight Show - was one of the most enjoyable I have seen, as it combined Chuck Berry with the great Johnny Carson.
  • Another odd dream a few days back.  I was riding shotgun in a large delivery van that had been semi-converted to a motorhome, but still retained sliding front driver and passenger doors, and an opening door at the rear.  My oldest son was seated at the dinette at the rear of the coach/van, with the back door open behind him.  A vaguely familiar woman was driving, and, as the wind was blowing past my open door, I was fiddling with the radio, which looked a lot like the radio in my college-era Datsun.  On two of the preset buttons, set for what would have been 92.5 and 98.7, they were playing Henley's Waiting Tables, from Cass County.  I'm not sure if that song has had radio airplay or not.
  • The next morning, my old buddy from high school called to invite me to join him and his wife to attend Henley's 70th birthday tour stop this summer at the AAC.
  • Leaving the grocery store a few evenings ago, the stunning new black Civic in front of me bore decals of Darth Vader and a Storm Trooper at the lower left and right corners of the rear window.  Its license plate frame read "My other ride destroyed Alderaan".   Mmmkay.  Alderaan, schmalderaan, I'm thinking the dude needs to take his Adderal.
  • A couple of days later, walking across a retail parking lot, a car with a license frame reading: "My other vehicle is a TARDIS".  I had to ask someone what a TARDIS is, although I was able to deduce from the other festoonery on the car that it was a Dr. Who reference.
  • The roads are getting infested with nerds.  If they're not texting, they're probably playing 7 Mages while driving.  Weep for the species.
  • For the record, I am pretty sure there are some games pre-loaded on my Android phone.  I have never played one.  Ever.
  • A few weeks ago, I purchased a Classical Forest CD featuring nature sounds superimposed over classical music standards.  Very nice for bedtime.
  • Picked up laundered shirts the other day - 5 shirts were about $7.00.  Ironically, two of those had been purchased in a group of six (actually, one was a goose down jacket) that I bought for $6.
  • This looks like an awesome fun combination:


  •  If you've read my scribblings here much at all, you know I wasn't much the fan of the prior administration at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.  But at a recent speech, the former VP opined that he "could've won the [2016] election", and I have to agree.  Certainly, parsing the statement, one notes that he hedged by saying "could've" instead of "would've", but in this case I think the case can be ably made that his chances would've been better than 50/50.  Not that I would've voted for him, mind you - just that his would've been a stronger candidacy than HRC's, a point that I made long before the election.
  • I'm in most aspects supportive of the current POTUS, mainly in the sense of restoring the U.S.'s competitiveness, and reversing some of the nitwittery that's plagued us, in some cases, over the past two decades.  Not a fan of his support for civil forfeiture (may have been more ad hoc than policy-driven).  I think it may be expected that he will operate to a degree like a bull in a china shop, which hopefully will break up some of the sclerosis plaguing our governance.
  • A young co-worker has loaned another co-worker his copy of Dead Pool, so that she can see the unicorn scene.  I've been told what it's about, but have no desire to see for myself.  
  • A few Saturdays ago, I woke up, let the dog out as per usual, then addressed my own morning constitutional, when I tactile-ly noticed a crusty deposit about my left nostril.  Upon checking into the looking-glass, I found that side of my face smeared with dried blood.  So, I returned to my bed-chamber, where I saw my pillow had about a 5"x7" glistening sanguine patch.  Apparently, I'd developed a spontaneous nosebleed maybe an hour or so before awakening.  It looked as tho' someone had been murd'red, but a cursory examination showed that I had not shot myself.  The next morning, I awakened cautiously.  The [new] pillow was clean, but I experience a brief drip on the way to the throne room, which quickly subsided.  Thankfully, no recurrences since.
  • I had placed the gimme t-shirt I was wearing in a bucket of cold water to try to rinse it out.  A few days later, doing laundry, I was amused by the irony that the shirt was from Carter Blood Care.
  • My current two-wheeled adventures:
 
  •  Mystery woman graced my dream again last night.  We were visiting a resort center near Bartlesville, Oklahoma.  I think I know why she was in my dream, but I have no idea why it was at that venue.
  • For those who do analogies, or might be preparing for the SAT/GRE, here ya go -  Don Henley : MWB :: U2 : BoN

No comments: