Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Let us give thanks

Early last week, my friend, colleague and fellow blogger Todd, sent me an email asking if I had any Veterans Day plans. He and another co-worker, Dewey (we call him Doodle-bug, and other names) were planning to go to D/FW International Airport to greet the incoming R&R troop flight. Now, to be honest, I'm not sure which of them conceived the idea of going out there, I only know that it wasn't me. I did mention that I'd have to get up quite a bit earlier than usual, to which Todd the Blogger wryly commented that maybe I could survive the sacrifice, inasmuch as those we'd be greeting were probably sleeping on a rock, a cot, or a C-130 just hours before their arrival at D/FW. He has a way of adding perspective to things.

So, we agreed that since we'd be off work for the day, we'd meet somewhere for breakfast, go out to the airport to greet the troops, and also possibly work in some target practice at the shooting range.

Then came the Fort Hood murders. Even though we had already planned to go to the airport before, there was no way you could've kept us away after. I've never served in the military, but it really struck me as a real pisser (please excuse my language) to be dodging bullets, mortars, RPGs and IEDs, only to come home to find some lunatic has shot up his fellow soldiers on American soil. On base, no less.

We met at the Dixie House Cafe in Bedford, had a great breakfast of eggs, BACON, biscuits & hash browns, smothered in gravy, then made our way to the airport.

There was a pretty good crowd assembled at Terminal D, Gate 22 waiting for the soldiers from Afghanistan to deplane. While we waited, a facilitator called forward veterans from the World War II era through the present to be recognized for their service. There was a particularly enthusiastic response when she called out for Vietnam vets.

Having been a child in the '60s, I saw the evening news of Dan Rather in the jungle, students placing flowers in the muzzles of National Guard M-14s (?). I only learned later in life of returning soldiers being spat on and called hateful names, quickly changing out of uniform so as not to be recognized on the streets of an ungrateful nation. So, I'm always pleased for the opportunity to thank the Vietnam Vets, albeit belatedly.

My first troop arrival visit was, I think, in 2002 with a local chamber of commerce group, in the initial wave of returning soldiers following 9/11. I think we shook a good percentage of the soldiers' hands, welcoming them home and thanking them for their service. Other visits followed, with the Lions Club & the Scouts (both times with my sons), and also on the return of a friend, Becky, who'd done two tours in Iraq, working in a trauma center (she was there when the ABC newsman, Bob Woodruff, was injured by a roadside IED).

Today, a local day care center owner had thoughtfully made up dozens of "goody bags". Other people were giving out phone cards, or some kind of literature. Most people were respectful of the soldiers' space, but a few seemed to want to stop each serviceperson and impart some kind of words of wisdom. I'm not sure what profundity one can offer to people who, just days earlier had possibly witnessed unspeakable acts, so I was proud that my buddies and I stayed just a little bit back, offering a simple "thank you" or "welcome home" as the soldiers passed by. I'm sure the gift bags were well-intentioned, and I don't know what they contained, but I'd have to guess that most of these people, toting 50-80 pounds of gear, weren't too keen on something else to carry - luckily, they were placed on a table and weren't being thrust at them.

Looking into the faces of the service- men and women, a few seemed young, but most appeared to be in their 20s, 30s and even 40s. I can only speculate what thoughts were in their minds: Anticipation of seeing their loved ones, possibly a new infant. Anxiety of a relationship strained by time and distance, economic hardship. Desire for some rest. A prayer for peace.

I'm glad our nation has moved on from the way we treated our military members in the '60s. I hope the gratitude witnessed in terminal D today will extend into the hiring offices and the communities when these heroes come home to stay.

To the bloggers Kevin (Combat & Jarhead) - Thank You for your service in preserving freedom!

Edit: I checked my office email this morning - It was actually Dewey who invited Todd and me to join him in greeting the returning troops. Thanks, Dew!

3 comments:

Gia's Spot said...

Great post and nice job at the airport!

todd said...

Hey, Pookie, just for the record: I've never called him Doodle-Bug.

Anonymous said...

Just don't call me late for dinner!

Dew