Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Bits-n-pieces

Would love to sit down and write a well thought out post, but it'll have to wait.  Too many higher priorities at the moment.
  • Got an email last week from Harbor Freight Tools with a coupon for Mother's Day - yeah, I'd suggest trying that with your wife only if you want to end up single.
  • Today, another email from the same sender, announcing National Power Tool Week.  Seriously?  Now, I've got more tools than Tim Taylor, but I gotta tell you: That's just stupid.
  • I tried to take some pictures with my phone of bumper stickers yesterday on the commute to and from work.  The phone is less creepy to motorists than using my camera, but unfortunately, I was holding it in such a position that I got a lot of reflection of the windshield defroster grate, making the pictures sort of unusable (I have a polarizing filter on my camera lens).
  • One bumper sticker proclaimed: Homer, Alaska - A quaint little drinking town with a fishing problem.
  • Another vehicle could've been Jar-Jar's alter ego's - A horned frog emblem on the rear hatch window, a TCU license plate frame, and a TCU trailer hitch receiver cover.  I came to understand that the driver may have been a TCU fan.
  • I haven't tried Wendy's new sea salt fries yet, but they sound good.
  • Is it too late to drop off my dry cleaning before the Royal Wedding?
  • I regularly check out the magazine rack at the grocery, usually the gun magazines, especially the Old West guns.  They sort of tend to group men's magazines together, so the motorcycle, hot rod, D-I-Y, boating, and guitar titles are close to one another.  Among those, it seems that the hot rod and motorcycle mags always have bikini chicks on or next to the vehicles.  I'm not sure I get that - I don't need to see a half-naked gal to want to read about a Winchester High Wall rifle or a Remington 1875 revolver.   Maybe that's just what it takes to get some dudes to pick up something written.

  • Not that I have the luxury of being real choosy these days, but those gals don't look like the type I'd go for.  (They'd probably say the same of me.)
  • As I completed some business at a local establishment the other day, the forty-ish woman who'd been helping me, said "See you next time, my dear".
  • No, she was American.
  • OK, maybe I'm getting old and senile when a woman calling me "my dear" is the highlight of my day.
  • A work colleague and I have a running conversation about what it would be like to go off the grid and live unconventionally.  My version is selling my house, buying a 5th wheel RV and parking it inside an old, semi-rural, concrete floored barn or building, creating open living space inside the building with an open freestanding kitchen, an open seating area, and a workshop area.  The RV would be just a place to sleep and shower.  A 40' x 40' (or 50') building would probably work just fine.

  • The downside, of course, is that my odds of finding marital bliss in such an arrangement would be lower than they are now.
  • I need to have a garage sale (or three). Too much "stuff" is smothering me.

2 comments:

aroundthecorner said...

I have a cousin that owns a hangar at the Bridgeport airport. He has a 5th wheel across the back that goes from wall to wall with inches to spare. When I first saw it I pondered the question....how did he do that. He explained that he backed it in and had four coasters built, one for each wheel, jacked it up, slid the coasters under, let it down and pushed it by hand into place and then lowered it back down. His plane is backed in diagonally so it all fits. When the plane is outside and the door is open, he gets the lawn chairs out and has a majestic view looking east. It's a neat setup, and good idea for saving each inch of room in the hanger.

I'm like you though, unless your already hooked up, most women might not like it as much as we would.

el chupacabra said...

Wendy's fries are tumultuous. They dominate McDonalds.