Thursday, January 5, 2012

Random Shots

Culled from the cobwebs of my mind, and other places:
  • Noted über-geek Stephen Hawking, turning 70 (and I thought he had died) says that he spends most of his time pondering...women.  They are a complete mystery to him.
  • Well, duh.  They are a mystery to me, too.  Wonder if that makes me a deep thinker.
  • Probably not.
  • The art of editing news stories seems to have died.  Yahoo mobile news had a headline up all day saying that the dispatcher in Oklahoma said it was OK for the 18 year old mother to shoot an intruder.
  • The dispatcher specifically stated that she couldn't give permission, but advised the girl to do what she had to to protect her infant. 
  • Pesky details.
  • On New Year's Day, Daughter & I missed going to church - we didn't realize they'd cancelled the 12:30 service.  So, she suggested we go to Cabela's.
  • Love that girl!
  • She wanted to see the full size big game room and shoot in the arcade/gallery.  She's a good shot.  She asked if I would take her hunting - I explained that she couldn't shoot big game with a .22 - the only firearms she's shot so far.

  • No particular reason to mention this, but the LOP above is 11-1/4".   ;-)    Edit: OAL is 36-1/4"
  • I did some shopping the day after Christmas.  Maybe it's the kind of stores I go to (I wasn't @ SLTS), but I think if I'd spent just a couple more hours shopping, I could be fluent in Spanish.  Not saying that's a bad thing - just not what I would've expected when I was younger.  It's a different world now.
  • On NYE, we went hiking in the woods to recon the 'campsite' we'd created over Thanksgiving break.  We were able to find the site, but unfortunately, vandals had removed the two stumps and the 2x4 and plywood table we'd set up as a picnic table.
  • We later found the stumps where they'd been cast off in a dry creekbed, about 100 yards away, but never located the 'table top'.
  • Neither of us could understand why someone would do that, and besides, all of those pieces were pretty heavy to be carting or pulling through the mesquite and briars.

Our camp table, in November.
  • In the above picture, we had set up the table a couple of days earlier, and subsequently made two timed runs, on successive evenings, to see how quickly we could reach our 'site' from civilization, with no/minimal use of flashlights.
  • A week or so ago, there was some celeb dude who had some kind of writing on his torso, kinda like Megan Fox.  I don't know what it said.
  • I've never had any desire for that sort of thing, but if I were going to do something like that, I'd put the 27 words - 2A.
  • But for now, since I can still remember them all, I don't have any need to make a cheat sheet of my armpit.
  • Oldest son starts college this month.  He's very excited, and I'm very happy for him, though I wonder if he'll enjoy the night classes or switch next semester to day and find an evening job.
  • Middle son purchased an electric bass over Thanksgiving break, or maybe early December.  Last weekend, he stayed up into the wee hours practicing with a small amp I put in his room.
  • No, he played quietly - no rattling the walls.
  • Daughter and middle son and I saw Courageous last Thursday.  It's not Oscar material, but we all liked it - a lot.
  • Consumer Tip - I've said it before: I'm tight with a dollar.  But recently, I bought WalMart brand Velveeta substitute.  Mistake.  Kroger brand is OK, but the WalMart brand misses the mark.
  • Thought you'd like to know.

6 comments:

Kathleen... said...

Hey, great to know! I always wonder if the store brand really IS "the same as" the other stuff. I'm sticking with my Velveeta! <-- a staple

Oh, and those "pesky details;" right??? UGH. I heard that exact clip that you clarified with....stupid media.

aroundthecorner said...

27 words-2A....I'm no deep thinker. Help me out here?

an Donalbane said...

A well regulated militia...

RKBA

el chupacabra said...

Vandals such as you mention are a mystery to me (along with women of course). You know those poo for brains don't put ANY effort in their lives into work or self improvement etc, but they'll kill themselves to destroy something just to prevent others from enjoying it?!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean!
I went to a campsite recently and some had stack some stupid board over some perfectly good sitting stumps. I decided to float that wood down the creek while I watched sitting on the stumps.
Those poeple who did that to perfectly good sitting stumps amaze me!!!!


Dew

an Donalbane said...

Dork.

Just to be clear, the stumps pictured were too short for sitting stumps.