Sunday, December 21, 2014

Soul Revival

In the words of Don Henley:

A lot of things have happened
Since the last time we spoke
Some of them are funny
Some of 'em ain't no joke
And I trust you will forgive me
If I lay it on the line
I always thought you were a friend of mine

Actually, nothing really dire, though I have been too busy - or too lazy - to blog.

At the urging of an old friend, who told me I needed to take some 'me time', get some exercise, and walk my dog - I slipped the phone into my jacket yesterday, popped in my earbuds, leashed Sienna, and set out for a nice walk to clear my mind, if only for a while.

Here's some of what played on the shuffle list:
  • Heart - Dreamboat Annie  (...little ship of dreams)
  • Sweet Baby James Taylor - Never Die Young  (They were ring-around-the rosie children, we were circles around the sun...); Baby Boom Baby  (Something 'bout something that you had to do...); That's Why I'm Here  (Got your baby, got your blanket, got your bucket of beer...)
  • Mary-Chapin Carpenter - Come On Come On  (It's a loss you never get over the first time you lose...); Something of a Dreamer (But a dreamer's never cured...);  Slow Country Dance (And love's never easy or ever as true...)
Do I have to sit here?
  • Joe Walsh - Over and Over  (If you're looking for answers, open your eyes...)
  • Emmylou Harris - Easy From Now On  (It's a quarter moon in a ten cent town...)
  • Stephanie Lynn Nicks - Planets of the Universe (Let there be light in this lifetime...)
  • Dan Fogelberg - There's a Place in the World for a Gambler (There's a light in the depths of your darkness...)
Public art...
  • New Radicals - You Get What You Give (First we run and then we laugh till we cry...)
  • Michael Murphey - Loners (...disconnected, misdirected, loners - day by day we're learning to be loners
  • Karla Bonoff - Lose Again (Save me, free me from my heart this time...)
I'll sit here, but just for a second...
  • Linda Ronstadt - Hasten Down the Wind (Now he agrees he thinks she ought to be free...) 
  • Chicago - Wishing You Were Here (...So I guess that's how it is.)
  • Jackson Browne - For Everyman (...And hold out that strong and gentle Father's hand.);  Fountain of Sorrow  (...loneliness seems to spring from your life like a fountain from a pool.);  Here Come Those Tears Again  (Just when I was gonna make it through...); The Naked Ride Home  (I failed to hear the heart that was beating alone...)
  • Clapton - Wonderful Tonight  (...you just don't realize how much I love you.)
Willie Robertson - build a duck blind here!

As I'd taken an insulated mug of hot tea with me, on the return I made a pit stop at the rec center, conveniently featuring a baño accessible from outside (I tied Sienna to a door handle).  Glad I didn't have to take a seat...

Yeah, that would chill your cheeks.

But, they thoughtfully have a thermostat to keep it from getting too cold...


No comments: