Friday, August 17, 2018

Godspeed, my dearest friend


-  2018
A purer, sweeter, kinder spirit I have never known

An oft-repeated and forwarded story concerns a family that has recently had an end-of-life experience of their furry companion.  Pondering why dogs' lifespans are so much shorter than their humans', the young son provides the perfect answer:

He said, “People are born so that they learn how to live a good life – like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?” The four year old continued, “Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”

I have to agree.

2 comments:

mzchief said...

I am truly sorry for your loss. The loss of a dearly loved fur-friend engenders a grief that sears to the bone which leaves a lasting ache in the soul and for years, the mere thought of the joy they brought us, can bring us to the brink of tears. Their passing doesn't get easier, it just becomes something we learn to live with.

an Donalbane said...

Mz, thank you for your kind words. Yes, very true. She was a part of my life for nearly 12 years, since we adopted her at the HSNT in Fort Worth. No finer, kinder friend have I known - she didn't have a mean bone in her body. Kids and adults always wanted to pet her, and she always obliged. She absolutely could not be provoked to anger, and I only heard her bark a half-dozen times ever.

It was comforting bringing her cremains home, but I still have pangs of guilt - If I could only have taken her for another walk, ride in the car, etc. But the wonderful memories she gave are a blessing that I'll always cherish.