Saturday, December 19, 2009

Love thy neighbor

In the final episode, or "tour" of Focus on the Family's The Truth Project, Dr. Del Tackett recounts a story from his youth about attending his first dance in his middle school years, and a conversation he had with his father when he got home.

"So, how was the dance, Del?"

"Pretty good."

"Did everyone have a good time?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Did you dance with all the pretty girls?"

"Most of them."

"Did all of the girls get to dance?"

"Uh, I guess so."

"Were there any girls there that no one asked to dance?"

"Well, yeah, a couple, I suppose."

"Do you think they had a good time at the dance?"

"Probably not."


In telling the story, Dr. Tackett isn't making his dad out to be a hard nose, of course, but pointing out the lesson of being a "good neighbor", and extending Christ's love to the downtrodden, the forgotten and neglected. I would hope to be the same example for my children.

I've had occasions in my life to be, as my pastor sometimes says "on the back side of a beat-down", faced with job dissatisfaction and uncertainty, tossed to the dust bin by the 'mean girl'. But always, in the midst of the depression or loneliness, there've been those saints who came and lifted my spirits.

At this festive time of year and always, I pray I don't overlook the less fortunate and afflicted, and that I can pass on even a portion of God's love that has been shown to me.

No comments: