Tuesday, November 22, 2011

November 22

Actually, this pic was taken yesterday.

Middle son and daughter trust dad (who  in turn relies on a
sacrificial pedestrian up-street) to warn them if traffic is coming.

I am about two weeks younger than John Jr. [was], so I don't have any direct recollections of the assassination, and we had not yet moved to north Texas.  However, as a child I remember reading the Life Book Four Days cover to cover several times, so that most of the images were etched in my mind years before I ever set foot in Dealey Plaza.

(Another photograph, from an alternate angle, may or may not have been taken from the left side of the frame...)

2 comments:

el chupacabra said...

When I little I watched a documentary on the JFK assasination. They mentioned the truism,"Everyone alive at that time remembers exactly what they were doing when they heard the news".

I asked mom and she typically said,"Good grief- how could I remember that?" Then her eyes got wide and she said,"I was cleaning house. I was dusting off the top of the refrigerator and the news broke in on the radio which was on the fridge. I just stopped and couldn't believe what I was hearing..."

an Donalbane said...

I think my mother was watching "As the World Turns".

We were in the museum store the other day, and they have a flat screen collage running a loop of that weekend's events - couldn't help chuckling when I thought of the photoshopped Ruby/Oswald photo, making them look like the Blues Brothers in some nightclub (probably one of Jack Ruby's...).