Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Let's hear it for the Mod Squad

OK, this next predates my high school years - by about eight - but somehow I found it playing on one of the vacant channels of my mind today, and thought it was groovy.

True to form for this blog, my research indicates that only the chick remains above ground.



In the foreground, in formal wear, the lead guitarist looks kinda like David Niven.  In the background, ya gotta like the drummer wearing a Billy Jack hat.  It's so hippy-dippy, you expect to see Dan & Dick, Ruth, Goldie, Arte, JoAnne & Henry pop out at any moment.

The interlude is wicked trippy, even better in this alternate take with better audio (is that V. Putin in the audience at 1:27?).

The name of the band is Spanky and Our Gang, which brings up a totally non-sequitarian point:  I have had the good fortune to have met the original Little Rascals' Spanky McFarland, some 25 or 30 years ago, and more recently, the actor who portrayed Spanky in the 1994 movie.

3 comments:

RPM said...

Some of the background sets variety shows used in the late 60's early 70's were very trippy. It was like they were overcompensating for being 'the establishment' on the rest of the program.

el chupacabra said...

How did I miss them lil gem?
They rocked.

an Donalbane said...

Mike - You could be right, but my intuition is that the variety shows' collective political bent of those days, possibly excepting Sullivan's, was likely left-ish. The veneer of establishmentariansim was, I believe, a function of the networks' Standards & Practices departments.