Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Ardere et Lucere

I think I have in the past posted excerpts of these lyrics, some of my favorites, and apropos to the season:

Now the trouble with you and me, my friend
Is the trouble with this nation
Too many blessings, too little appreciation
And I know that kind of notion—well, it just ain't cool
So send me back to Sunday school
Because I'm tired of waiting for reason to arrive
It's too long we've been living
These unexamined lives


I've got great expectations
I've got family and friends
I've got satisfying work
I've got a back that bends
For every breath, for every day of living
This is my Thanksgiving

And have you noticed that an angry man
Can only get so far
Until he reconciles the way he thinks things ought to be
With the way things are?

Here in this fragmented world, I still believe
In learning how to give love, and how to receive it
And I would not be among those who abuse this privilege
Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge¹

Know when to walk away, and know when to run.

OK, I maybe kinda included one of the composer's early benefactor's lines there...

This Thanksgiving, I am truly thankful for the blessings in my life, and enlightenment that comes from burning the right bridges.

¹ Henley/Winding/Lynch

No comments: