Sunday, November 14, 2021

Ev'ry Picture Tells a Story

 Don't it though?

(Aside: I have stood where Macca is standing 
- Red Square, not onstage.)
Edit: In that same time frame (late February '75), my [junior HS] running buddy Marcus and I spent an evening in our Leningrad/St. Petersburg hotel bar committing diplomacy with some CCCP sailors (and their wives/girlfriends) on shore leave, while a Russian band bravely attempted several covers of Western rock music, including - naturally - some by the Fab Four.  After one of our hosts had admired my western bolo tie (with a horse head, originally from JC Penney's in Irving, TX, IIRC), most of the evening, I gifted it to him or his girlfriend (hence, diplomacy). It was probably the pinnacle act of détente, or the seminal moment of гласность.

Stuck in my head.

What I didn't know then.


Forgiveness.

Forgiveness.

Quark?

 

2 comments:

TommyBoy said...

Great tunes!

an Donalbane said...

I always liked the ELO song, but never paid a lot of attention to all the [sorta muddy] vocals.

While composing the post, I listened more carefully and also pulled up the lyrics. Probably safe to say it's the only song extant mentioning Lancelot, Ivanhoe, William Tell, and Robin Hood.

There also appear to be competing schools of thought regarding whether the ocean's daughter "walking on the wave she came" or was "walking on the waves' chicane". As one who kinda digs linguistics, I prefer the latter interpretation, if for no other reason than that I learnt the word 'chicane', though I've witnessed an ample amount of chicanery in my years.