Thursday, December 4, 2008

Random Musings

I guess all of my blogging is random musings, but here are some snippets:

  • There's a big brouhaha about a Dallas Stars NHL player who made a low-brow comment about a former girlfriend, and was subsequently suspended 'indefinitely' from play. There's been a lot of discussion, most of it moral relativism, about how there are issues of greater gravity, a war going on, hockey being a violent sport, etc. that make this inconsequential. I checked to make sure my understanding of the offensive term was correct...and it was. Conclusion: Bully for the Stars/NHL. I know that one display of decorum will not restore civility to public discourse, but as a big fan of zero baselining, it was intrinsically the right thing to do. Better yet, the action came from the private sector, not government, so there's no issue of censorship. Maybe, just maybe, others will take note - are you listening, Jerry Jones?
  • On a recent episode of "Oprah", Barbara Walters opined that older people, presumably divorced or widowed, should not get married again. The context of her comments was not that people shouldn't debase the institution of marriage, but seemingly that it was inconvenient. Considering Babs' history, including an affair with a politician (how low is that!), I'm guessing her marriage license has punch outs - "One free with every five purchased".
  • The pre-Thanksgiving sermon was about being thankful for the blessings we have, not lamenting those we believe we deserve. My life's been in a bit of a tailspin for the past couple of years, so it was a good reminder. I'm favored with three wonderful kids, good friends, good food to eat, living in the United States - of the 6.5 billion people on earth, how many would love to trade places with me?
  • Speaking of friends, many have been invaluable in preserving my sanity. Thank you to Mack, Todd, Mark, Tom, Mike (both of them), Kevin, Dew, Paul, Annette, & Cathy.
  • I am attending a seminar at church, in which the most recent lessons have been about marriage. Inasmuch as I don't plan to take Baba Wawa's advice, I am hopeful that my newfound knowledge will be useful sometime in the future.

No comments: