Thursday, April 30, 2009

One Flu Over the Cuckoo's Nest?

We've all heard the axiom regarding an ounce of prevention that's worth a pound of cure.

But what in the world is going on with the hysteria and spate of organizational shutdowns in the wake of a handful of swine flu infections, and one death from the virus?

Are we daft?

It seems to me that our great nation, which declared its independence 233 years ago, fought a bitter war seven score and some years ago to remain whole, and has come to the aid of others around the world to prevent Imperialist domination and wholesale genocide, is currently succeeding in doing what no foreign enemy has been able to do. We are destroying ourselves.

From the inside.

If we have lost the moral rectitude and confidence that made us the envy of the world, if we are spending ourselves into oblivion, if we are now running in fear of our own shadows, can we still consider ourselves leaders of the free world?

Or are we willing sheep heading for the slaughter?

Careening from one crisis to another, maybe this is just the latest smokescreen, designed to divert our attention from the real rape that is occurring on the body politic of this nation. But, I'm not one to wish to subscribe to conspiracy cynicism. Skepticism, yes, but cynicism, no.

So, I can't attribute this audacious hype to the current administration in Washington, D.C.

But it is emblematic of a culture that would willingly enslave itself as ours appears to be doing.

2 comments:

Warren Baldwin said...

Donald,
I linked here from the "hunting" tag. I was intrigued by some of your descriptions of yourself: middle-age, Christian, Libertarian-conservative (although I am closer to Populist, but Libertarian is my 2nd choice). That describes me, too. This post was very good, sad to say.

My blogs are not about politics but about Christianity and family. I think the most basic of institutions to reform and strengthen. The church and nation follows, in that order. The nation ... mmm ... I'm not sure of that. We have traveled pretty far down the wrong road. But, with continuing education, as you are trying to provide, may help turn us around.

May I assume that you are a Ron Paul supporter? I am.

an Donalbane said...

Have never voted for the Lib candidate in a Presidential election - I'm a bit too pragmatic for that.

But, I often cast a Libertarian vote for the 'down-ballot' races, if for no other reason than to bring the [small l] libertarian viewpoint into the political discourse.

I do like Ron Paul, and wish that more politicians, on either side of the aisle, had the integrity he does.

BTW, I am originally from your state - my Dad's a KSU '61 grad. We used to pilgrimage to Hoxie (Sheridan County) every November to chase those ring-necked birds, but haven't been in a few years.

Thanks for stopping by...