Thursday, April 9, 2009

Somali Pirates...So Little Time

I think this is my third post on the subject of Somali pirates.

In case you've missed the others, I'll recap: I favor arming commercial vessels with high-powered rifles (.338 Lapua, .50 BMG) and encourage maritime crews to practice marksmanship when the pirates come a-calling in their dinghies.

Anyway, the Somalis have lately captured an American-flagged vessel. Thankfully, our intrepid Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has boldly called for world action to "end the scourge of piracy" as U.S. warships raced to confront the pirates.

"Specifically, we are now focused on this particular act of piracy and the seizure of a ship that carries 21 American citizens. More generally, we think the world must come together to end the scourge of piracy," she said.

Maybe if she buys the world a Coke, it'll happen.


But I think well-armed cargo ship crews would be much more effective.


Edit: This following was in the same Fox News article featuring Secretary Clinton's comments: "The U.S. is gearing up for a standoff with the band of pirates who hijacked a U.S.-flagged cargo ship off the coast of Somalia as a Navy warship reportedly arrived at the scene early Thursday."

The quote is Fox News', not Clinton's, but what I fail to grasp is why the UNITED STATES NAVY is gearing up for a STANDOFF. I mean, aren't these the folks who bombarded Iwo Jima & Okinawa and fought the Battle of Midway and stuff? Shouldn't they be preparing to blow those pipsqueak pirates to pieces instead of readying for a standoff?

Just wondering.

1 comment:

David H said...

I'm sure Hillary would like to "issue sanctions" against Somalia. If I worked as a deckhand on a tanker, I'd want to be heavily armed. Turning pirates into shark-bait would be so much cleaner and cheaper than running them through a complicated judicial system...