Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Certifiably Codger

OK, I'm not going to recount every stop I made on my way home from work today, but, for reasons that defy explanation, I found myself in the craft store, Michael's. (Actually, having let that cat out of the bag, I guess I have to de-gayify by explaining that I was there looking for black elastic to make .22 Hornet ammunition loops for the M6 Scout project.)

Anyway, the cute young thing points me to the back of the store to find the elastic. Once I'm there, it takes awhile to actually find elastic, and none of it is black, or 2" wide.

But, there was a song on the muzak or whatever - Gentle On My Mind. Cool, I thought, some Glen Campbell. Only it wasn't Glen Campbell. It was the pride of Steubenville, OH...Dean Martin.

Dino!

It sorta took me back to my childhood, when I would sing the Best of Glen Campbell songs at night - until I fell asleep or my Dad told me to shut up. (Note to Todd the Blogger: No, I did not sing show tunes.)

I surmised that Gentle on my Mind was a Jimmy Webb tune, but it's actually John Hartford. The more interesting thing I uncovered while researching this post is that Jimmy Webb is only 63, about a year older than Don Henley. I woulda thought he was a generation older, or dead.

You know you're really getting old when you can remember both Glen Campbell and Dean Martin.

Maybe sometime I'll write about my conversations with Jimmy Durante...just kidding.

3 comments:

Propagandist said...

Hancock's or Joann Fabrics is the best place to get sewing stuff. Hobby Lobby is okay if you're in a bind. I'm not going to tell you how I know that. BTW, I wont go, even at gun point, into Micheal's.

an Donalbane said...

Yeah, I had narrowed it down to JoAnn's. I was looking for 2" black elastic to make cartridge loops for my project. The Hurst store carries it in a bulk roll, but is out - will check Grapevine in the next few days.

Edit: I went back and measured the OAL for .22 Hornet cartridges - looks like 1-11/16. 1-1/2 elastic may be the better choice - leaves just enough bullet exposed to be able to push them out of the loops. I think I can get that at Wal-Mart.

el chupacabra said...

I have that CD on my laptop.

My Dino trivia contribution: His son Dean Paul was a fighter pilot who was killed in a crash in his F4Phantom in the late 80s in California.