Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Non Sequitur

I stopped by the dry cleaners this afternoon to pick up my dress shirts.

Though I have a steam iron and ironing board, I'm not very good at it. But, if I'm careful, I've found I can sometimes get 2-3 wearings from a shirt by touching it up between trips to the cleaners. (I'm just cheap that way.)

Now, about the non sequitur.

Just before I entered the store, I caught the unmistakable aroma of ... Borkum Riff.

Borkum Riff?

I'm certain that term had not crossed my mind in, say, 30 years. As a matter of fact, maybe longer. I think I purchased some Borkum Riff as part of my accoutrements for the role of Major Metcalf in a high school production of Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap in 1977 or 1978.

When I left with my shirts, I again noticed the smell, but no indication whence it came.

Funny how a smell or sound can transport you across space and time.

And by the way, if anyone has Prince Albert in a can - for heaven's sake, let him out!

No comments: