Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fort Worth Gun Show

Unlike the Decatur lawyer who went to a recent gun show to make fun of it (they mock what they don't understand), I went to this past weekend's show in Fort Worth to look for something. I hadn't been to a gun show in over a year, my most recent visit having been to Market Hall.

Anyway, I was initially pleased to see that it was well attended, with no, or few, empty tables, although I was taken aback a bit by the $8 entry tariff. My main reason for attending was to find some bits and pieces for the M6 Scout project, possibly a Lyman/Ideal .22 Hornet reloading tool, and various and sundry other accessories.


Gun shows, in the FTW/D area at least, reached their zenith in the late '80s or in the '90s. Used to be good shows at Will Rogers, and to a lesser extent, TCCC. Likewise, the big daddy show in Dallas was at Market Hall, but the DCCC show wasn't bad. Unfortunately, good ol' former Dallas Councilman Al Lipscomb put the kibosh on the DCCC shows by sponsoring an ordinance that prohibited selling ammo on city property, and that show venue died out, not surprisingly.



Since I'd accomplished my major Saturday objective before going to the gun show, I took my time and savored (if you'd call it that) the ambience, trying to make sure I didn't miss anything. I don't think I did, but I also didn't find anything worth parting me from my hard earned dollars, especially considering the inflated prices. My sole purchase was a 50¢ mounted abrasive that I plan to use to re-face the valve seat on an outdoor water spigot.

And as far as finding that Lyman/Ideal tool - I think I'll have better luck on eBay.

1 comment:

David H said...

I've been to the FW gun show; it's a good venue and of course a bit more popular lately with the tension about our current administration setting it's sights on the 2nd amendment. I worked with a British guy for a while who was here on temporary assignment. He once joked about how easy it was to buy a gun in Texas; he didn't understand. When thinking about UK citizens, it's phenomenal to see they apparently put so much trust in their government that all citizens give up their personal gun rights...