Saturday, November 20, 2010

Rest in Peace, Lagniappe

One of my Saturday morning indulgences is to read Lagniappe's Lair, written by a West Virginian on a variety of topics, often including the shooting sports, and classic Western movie clips on Saturdays, but mostly about the exploits of Lagniappe, a beautiful retired German Shepherd police dog with a colorful personality. 

Of late, the posts have told how Lagniappe had begun losing neuro-motor control in his back legs to canine degenerative myelopathy, a progressive disease.  Still, his character showed through, even as his mobility impairment advanced.

This morning, I read, through tears, that the disease had advanced to an untenable state, and that yesterday his owner/friend, after sharing a long evening of conversation and treats, and a delicious last breakfast, took his beloved friend for an extended car ride and a final trip to the vet.

Four years ago this week, my wife and I took turns staying up with our Chow/Spitz mix, Sara.  As I had to work the next day, my wife probably shouldered more of the overnight duty than I.  On a crisp November morning, Monday before Thanksgiving, I drove through drops the windshield wipers could not clear away, to the veterinarian's office, to give rest to a dear family friend who in her fifteen years had greeted the births of all three of our children, and had stood watch to alert of any uninvited guests when I was away on business.

Rest in peace, Lagniappe.  With gratitude to all of our canine friends who have enriched and blessed our lives.

11 comments:

aroundthecorner said...

Donald, I also have a great friend and dearly loved dog. He is 13 now, his eyesight is failing and he can't hear as well as he used too. He still gets around great. He runs and plays and seems to be in perfect health. I dread walking in the house when I am the first one home in fear of finding him gone. His lifespan is at it's upper limits for a Shih Tzu. I shudder at the thought of him not being in our life. I never in all my days thought that I could get as attached to a dog as I am him. If and when that day comes, I hope W-spouse gets there before I do. I hope that doesn't make me a coward, but I so love that little guy! WW

Answers? I don't know the questions. said...

Getting attached to an animal that is always glad to see you and wants nothing more but to be in your presence, is easy to do.

Anonymous said...

My two chow mixes spent 18 years and 14 years as lived family members. They were the finest dogs of all time. I was blessed to have them. As were you!

LandShark 5150 said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Answers? I don't know the questions. said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Donald. God bless you and your family.

Kathleen... said...

I'm so sorry, Donald...and for Lagniappe's owner. It's so hard to watch a MUCH beloved pet go downhill...and then to make That Decision.

There are two deaths in this world that I can hardly dwell upon, for fear of disintegrating into tears: my Grandma and my cat of 15 years, Baby Kitty. Both were critically important to me. It's hard to let them go.

Anonymous said...

Am I to think your lack of postings indicates you have met an interesting female?

an Donalbane said...

Nah...I've not met any interesting or even uninteresting females. Just kind of a slump - my muse is on holiday.

Speaking of holiday(s) - I'm of a similar opinion as Her Majesty, would possibly be just as content if I could channel Rip Van Winkle until Jan. 2.

Kathleen... said...

Chin up, Donald. =) Sing some Christmas carols to yourself...or hum a little jingle. In my experience, this automatically lifts my spirits!!

*hugs*

aroundthecorner said...

Seems we all hit these points from time to time. Lean hard on that guy above, seems your faith is strong, and he will see us through. I truly do miss your thoughts and posts though..

Murphy's Law said...

A belated thank you, for me and for Lagniappe. It's hard to make that last trip, but it's one of those things that we owe our loyal canine friends when it's time.
I believe that we'll see them again, because Heaven wouldn't really be Heaven without them.