Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sign of the times...

Seen recently next to a curb, newspapers piled up on the front walk - foreclosure, perhaps?

I want to start by thanking the readers of this blog for the kind words, encouragement, and well wishes.  I haven't been ailing, or taking a well-deserved rest.  Just a little busy, and too lazy to blog lately.
  • I've had in mind to write a post about the blind men who TSA the elephant, each arriving at a different conclusion as to the nature of the beast.  The cacophany of voices these days, proclaiming what ails the world/nation/workplace/family, has been vexing me.  Many of the diagnoses may be right, but my sense is that most are like those blind men.
  • While I'm not ailing, I am older.  Half a century?  Gimme a break!  To paraphrase Alice Cooper, I was eighteen, not that long ago.
  • Daughter had a piano recital last night.  Of about 18 performers, she was the only one to perform from memory.  Yeah, I'm a proud dad.  She also had an accompanist on violin - her mom.  Not too shabby.
  • Have been invited to a Christmas party this or next weekend.  I have to get an inexpensive gift for the Chinese exchange.  Those are usually pretty fun.  Interesting to see what some people will go nuts for.
  • Oldest son's pickup is in sick bay, awaiting a fuel pump transplant.  He's been working extra hours at his after school/weekend job, but will have to squeeze in the time to drop the tank to replace the pump.  He can get it pretty reasonably from an online supplier, but can't order it until he removes the old one because the manufacturer used two different types - with different electrical terminals.  And he won't know which one he has until it's dismantled.  Aggravation!
  • Middle son is manager/scorer for his HS basketball team - enjoying what he's doing, but ready to drop the scoring pencil at a moment's notice to get on the court.
  • The priest who was my 'homeroom' teacher for eight years is nearing the end of his earthly journey.  Wracked by the physical and emotional scars of capture and confinement in war-torn Europe, then additionally persecuted when Soviet tanks rolled into his country in 1956, he somehow maintained his Spirit and gave encouragement and wise counsel to generations of students.  There's no doubt a greeting of  "Well done, my good and faithful servant" awaiting him.
  • I attended Catholic school, but am not of that denomination.
  • Dinner tonight was experimental mac-n-cheese.  A cup of shells and a cup of penne rigata, a 2:1 blend of Velveeta:Neufchâtel, a tablespoon of [real] bacon bits, and a sliced up spicy Italian parmesan sausage (leftover from Saturday night spaghetti) from Sprouts.  Not too bad, but I could have spent more time seasoning it.
The M-60 prop is pretty cool.  Wonder if I could get away wearing Alice's outfit to work?

6 comments:

aroundthecorner said...

Mac and Cheese mixed with nearly anything = good. You have been missed my friend, but I'm still suspicious about the reasons for doing so. It all adds up to female companionship :-) Whoever the engineer was that came up with the idea that the fuel pump should be placed inside the gas tank, needs to be executed. Ok, maybe not executed, but he needs to have to change every fuel pump that ever goes out, on every vehicle that it goes out on forever till he passes away from this earth. Great in theory, bad application. How many vehicles that you know of are being driven around, say from this demographic 18-25 year olds, that keep their gas tank full of fuel? In my case, I don't know of many. When you drive a vehicle with a very small amount of fuel in the tank it causes the fuel pump to run hot. Hotter than it was designed for, thereby limiting its lifespan significantly.
We love Christmas parties, along with the Chinese gift giving. Always a hoot!
HALF A CENTURY? W-spouse didn't think you were a day older than 40. Me, I was like, mid 50s........Just kiddin :-}

Answers? I don't know the questions. said...

Youth is indeed, wasted on the young. Even though I am older than you, I am not ready for viewing yet. Also, I would NOT go back to being 18 again for all of the mac and cheese in all cafeterias combined!

an Donalbane said...

Mr. Corner - Totally right on the idiocy of putting the pump in the tank. I had to replace the one on my SUV about four years ago. A real PITB, but luckily I only had 5 or 6 gallons in the tank. Cribbed it with 2-bys and eased it down.

You're absolutely right about the fuel helping dissipate the heat of the pump motor. I try to keep that in mind when I go to the filling station - but who has the time to see the loan officer every time they get fuel? ☺

Mr. Questions - Yeah, I don't think I'd go back either, though I wouldn't mind a do-over of my 30s. The leftover mac-n-cheese was better tonight - I took the time to get the spices right.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!! But tell me whatever is that a picture of??? I am impressed your son knows where the fuel pump is...and he plans to replace it. Sounds like you a rearing a boy that make a fine man!

an Donalbane said...

The black & white discs are RFID tags for the water meters below. The pink tag warns not to remove the tag, or, presumably, the locking device on the water valve.

I'm assuming the house is a foreclosure.

Anonymous said...

J'ai appris des choses interessantes grace a vous, et vous m'avez aide a resoudre un probleme, merci.

- Daniel