Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Dead Rockers Society

So, like at least a couple of hundred other Americans - and some lonely dude in Saskatchewan - I spent Sunday evening watching the Tiffany network's 50th anniversary tribute to four Liverpudlians' taking the Ed Sullivan show by storm.  A two-and-a-half hour respite from the typical crud on that frequency, Kenneth.

I don't think I owned a Beatles album until I was about 17 (about 8 years after they'd disbanded), and even then, it was one of the 'greatest hits' compilations. I'm not sure to this day if I have a copy of Sgt. my Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.  But, nonetheless, it's impossible to be unaware of the impact these four made on American music and culture.



In a Six Degrees of Combat Kevin Bacon sense, I feel like I practically know Paul and Ringo. I mean, surely you noticed the slightly built house band guitarist, with short cropped white hair, on the tribute.  Yep, my buddy Pete.  As in Frampton.  Me and Pete met about 11 years ago at Virgin Records in Grapevine Mills Mall - I've got the inscribed FCA double LP cover to prove it.  So there's that.

Then, I've also got inscribed CD covers "Happy Birthday, Don!" of Greatest Hits 1971-1975 and End of the Innocence. signed by another Donald from another mother.  Of course, he's in a band with ordinary, average guy Joe Walsh - brother-in-law of Richard Starkey.  So, I don't know how I could be much closer to the Fab Four.

Unless I was Clarence Walker:

Eddie Murphy SNL: The Fifth Beatle (1983) from Ben Forshay on Vimeo.


1 comment:

el chupacabra said...

Interestingly, I have only just started appreciating them and listening more.

As a long haired heavy metal vomit-head with a bit of a sense of taste you knew they were great but we mostly only listened to the really good stuff like Helter Skelter and a few others.

A patient in the entertainment business once gave me an original White album Billy Corgan left on a bus so yeah, me and Paul ( I call him Paulie) are like brothers.