Monday, December 11, 2017

About 41 years ago...

Dang, that sounds like a long, long time.

Anyway, about this time in 1976, I had just gotten my driver's license (licence for MZ), and with my girlfriend (Oh, Sandy!) and another couple, we made our way east to the Dallas Convention Center to see Ms. Ronstadt.

Leo Sayer opened:


Before the plague known as disco hit the United States...

I think that after Sayer's set, Andrew Gold may have done a mini-warm up before Linda came on. I'm not totally sure - not because it was the '70s, but mainly because it was 41 years ago.

Love the Midnight Special neon signs...and Waddy Wachtel on guitar!

I believe Linda opened with this Karla Bonoff-penned song:



This one was actually written by Linda and was probably in that night's set:



And another, from her earlier Don't Cry Now album:



The Offenbach videos are probably pretty close to the show I saw, being likely from the same tour. I think it's interesting when I listen to young folks say they wish they'd been around to hear the music I grew up with.  Good times.

BTW, by the time we'd dropped off the other couple in North Arlington, it was about 1:00 a.m. when I got Sandy back to her parents' house on the shores of Lake Arlington. Suffice to say her dad was kinda miffed that we lingered in the car for several (15-20?) minutes before I walked her up to the door. He probably needn't have worried, as I didn't have much game at that age.  The more things change, the more they stay the same...[sigh].

1 comment:

Jeffrey said...

I am pretty sure I was there for that particular Linda R. concert. Ships in the night, eh? I remember the date I had that night as well -- pretty young NTSU girl from Shady Shores (Lake Lewisville).