Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Tuesday's tinkerings

  • As the rain prevents doing chores outside, I may putter around on some projects in the garage this afternoon.
  • Last night I read about a beer commercial that is allegedly 'terribly racist', according to someone called 'Chance the Rapper'. The video wouldn't open on my phone, so I checked it this morning on my desk computer. The charge about it being racist is a stretch.  
  • Over the weekend, I fulfilled a minor wish list item. I'd been wanting to go to the Old Home Supply Store since hearing about them 3-4 years ago. Daughter and I enjoyed perusing the merchandise, in many cases playing "what do you suppose this is/was?"
 You can't beat a  Dread-horse

Rock on, woman!
(I wonder if the N. K. Fairbank Co. received twiddles branding them as racists...) 
  • My research indicates that the mascots - who today would most likely not be considered politically correct - featured on the product above were named Goldie and Dustie. The N. K. Fairbank Company was apparently a major supplier of home cleaning supplies from the late 1800s through the mid-20th century. Proctor & Gamble bought out some of their product lines.
  • A co-worker who does not like the man-bun texted me this this morning:


  •  The circus blogger this morning posted a helpful guide regarding the information facebooks keeps on its users.  Maybe on account of having this blog, I never felt the need to have the facebooks.
  • My church is very much technology forward.  A few years ago, I was going to load a Bible app on my phone. When I looked at all the 'permissions' that the developer retained, I decided that my paper Bible worked just fine. I don't have anything to hide, but why would I let people I don't know, anyplace on earth, run amok through the information on my phone?
  • To this day, when people tell me all the swell things I could do with this or that app on my phone, I just smile and say "Wow, that sounds cool!"
  • When I was in high school, my buddy's dad who owned a bank drove a Mark V (later a Mark VI). We sometimes borrowed it, because it was cool to ride around in a car with a phone. I thought of that when I saw this pristine doppelganger of that car the other day:
 Bring back the opera window!
  •  After touring the used building materials, Daughter and I found a hidden urban spring a couple of miles north, where I decided to refresh my feet in the brisk flowing waters:
 
 I took the picture after I put my sock back on. I did not want to snow-blind my readers...
  •  The movement to divide the Peoples Republic of California may be gaining ground. If only I knew where to send contributions. 
  • Of this, ComKev would say "I weep for the species." Circus blogger might call it Idiocracy. In any event, there's no shortage of evil in the world.
  • Observed this in the outside patio garden of an art gallery just east of downtown. Daughter says I should make one of these:
I think I would lack the patience to weld 200 washers together...
  • I support the Right to Bear Bows. I have recently been on a mission to re-string my recurve bows. I still have to order a string for the Pinto, per my research dating to the 1960s. I also have a Bear Black Bear assault (compound) bow, not shown. 


Bow-wow! Ben Pearson Pinto, Fred Bear Kodiak, Shakespeare Manitou.

No comments: