Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ebert & R______

Well, with the extra time on my hands, I've rented more than the usual array of DVDs. Over the weekend, my selections included: Left Behind, Junior Bonner, and Message in a Bottle.


I was vaguely aware of the Left Behind series, but had never read the books. The first DVD was good, but didn't finalize very well. So, last night I got the second installment, which I enjoyed more. It's more than a little eerie or poignant to watch, considering the political environment, on a day when the DJIA lost 4% of its value. Also, it was pretty cool to see [Walker] Texas Ranger Trivette again as pastor Bruce Barnes. I hope the video store has the third DVD.


Junior Bonner, one of Sam Peckinpah's less-appreciated works, was interesting, as it captured a moment in time, culturally and cinematically. The same themes are echoed in song from Michael Murphey's 1978 "Lone Wolf", specifically "Nothing Is Your Own" and "Loners", in which rugged invidualism confronts the soullessness of modernism. Worth the rental just for the cast of Steve McQueen, Ben Johnson, Billy Don Baker, and Dub Taylor. It's also said that its box office disappointment precipitated the director and star's collaboration the following year in the blockbuster "The Getaway".


Finally, "Message In a Bottle". Yeah, I suppose it's a chick flick, but I felt I could relate to Costner's character. Watched the whole thing before I realized Robin Wright Penn was the girl from "Princess Bride". Also, it rounded out my recent Newman collection, having watched "Butch Cassidy..." and "Cool Hand Luke" within the past month. Speaking of "Princess Bride", its screenwriter William Goldman also wrote the screenplay for "Butch Cassidy...". Who'd a thunk?

So, if you've got any movies you'd like for me to review for you, wait until they've been out at least seven years, and I'll rent them at the neighborhood Family Video.

No comments: