Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A mish-mash

I haven't done a random thoughts post in a while, so here goes:
  • A couple of work buddies and I had lunch together yesterday.  One of them is happily married, and expects to be for life (I pray that he is).  The other is going through a divorce, not of his choosing.  The married one suggests that the other two of us need to find some younger women.  "Younger?" we ask.  "Yeah, like 22 or so."  "What in the world would 22 year old women see in a couple of old farts like us (I being the older fart)?"  I said I should wish to be shot if I thought about getting into a relationship, younger or otherwise.  My friend requested to be kicked in the gonads if he did. 
  • I think there's less pain getting shot.  Besides, my friend's way - he's gonna get kicked in the gonads, either literally or figuratively, anyway.
  • What's odd is that neither of us is misogynistic.  Just two guys trying to live Christian lives, teachable, trying to understand why the women we loved turned their hearts to stone.  No badmouthing them, just utter bewilderment.  With respect to our other friend's suggestion, the only 22 I want a relationship with is a .22.
  • Nonetheless, I had to consider the James Taylor song, from That's Why I'm Here (1985), called Going Around One More Time: 
my heart had been broken and i couldn't take no more
i shuttered up my windows and i bolted tight my door
then i took one look at you and i nearly lost my mind
now i'm going 'round going 'round going 'round going around one more time
  • Well maybe later, just not now.
  • Last night, I went to the laundromat to dry a load.  The matched pair a domestic war casualty, I've only replaced the washer, no dryer.  The facility is relatively new, kept neat as a pin, with Mythbusters playing on the flatscreen TVs.  Of about 10 people in there doing laundry, 8 were men.  Equality, or sign of the times, I guess.
  • Since it's gotten hot, I tend to take iced tea with me when I'm out driving.  Too much iced tea had the predictable effect today when I was in Springtown.  So I stopped at the local Wells-Fargo seeking respite.  "Sir, we don't have a public restroom."  I wasn't dressed like a vagrant, and it wasn't late enough in the day for me to look sweaty and haggard.  I didn't realize Springtown had become so high-toned.
  • Being the fervent Eagles fan, I couldn't not take this picture (en las palabras del Chupacabra, you'll have to 'enlargenate' the picture), although the referenced song was not written by any of the band.  And Todd the Blogger, before you simply dismiss this as another Eagles/Henley ode, read the Wiki - it's actually a Hank Sr. reference.




  • Finally, in Azle late this afternoon, I stopped for fuel.  There was a Santa Claus/Amish looking dude in a t-shirt with a beard that flowed down and out to meet the crew neck of his t-shirt all around, forming a band that looks like one of those clown things.   I would've been absolutely miserable.

3 comments:

mzchief said...

* Having lost my birth father at such a young age, I am unable to remember him, losing my mother and adopted father when I was in my late teens and my infant daughter while in my early 20's has taught me a lot about love and loss. I have come to realize, the people we love are never going to be with us for long enough and frequently will only with us a short time. However, it is up to us to remember the love we have shared with our loved ones and by remembering we are granted comfort. The loss of my birth father and infant daughter are the most difficult to bear due to having none and so few loving memories. I have several friends who have gone through horribly unfair divorces. Some of them lost their children, most lost their homes and financial security and one lost all the family they had. The ones who eventually healed and again become whole were the ones who remembered the love they shared rather than dwelt on the wrong done to them and the future that was taken from them. All of those who recalled the good of their past relationships have moved on to to be enriched by better relationships. I hope the same for you and will keep you in my prayers.

* Every time I see a huge house, I always think about what a pain in the arse it would be to clean, heat/cool and walk from one room to another searching for a family member/pet. I have concluded, anything larger than 1,500 sq.ft. for one person and anything more than an additional 1,000 sq ft. per family member is much too much house.

an Donalbane said...

MZ - thank you for the comment and kind thoughts.

Regarding the large house thing - the older I get, the more I think that even if I could afford a manse, or owned one free and clear, I would resent the monthly overhead for upkeep.

I'm definitely not where I want to be on this road, but I am in the process of simplifying. I think I could be pretty content with a 1200-1500 ft² bungalow.

Kathleen... said...

Mz, lovely outlook. Beauty build upon pain turns it somehow. I'm glad you share your story with some of us. =) xo

Donald, my heart goes out to you and I'll also keep you in my prayers. Lost love hurts. Plain and simple. I'm so sorry for you. I'm also sorry for all of the men (and most usually children with them) sitting alone in restaurants on weekends. I always wonder if that's how they actually want things to be for themselves. Sad.

Now, all that having been said, I'm more inclined to shoot myself than ever remarry! lol Love the Martha and all, but probably just become a content Maxine. =)