Saturday, June 19, 2010

No Man's Land

It all begins to run together, it all begins to feel the same
The endless slow erosion, the pattern of the plain.
From the charge of the Calvary cavalry, to the endless fast food chains
I have written my runes by the parking lot moons
In the sorrow of the silver L.A. rain.

Living in no man's land, drifting on a sinking sand
Living in no man's land.

On the yonder boundaries of the bitterest barren place
To the paleface waste where every trace of taste has been erased
I slept with a lonely statue, unfeeling and full of form
Awakening to the flash flood crash
To find that I'd been sleeping through a storm.

[Refrain]

Now I am invisible, between the dream and the scene
So it's goodbye all you snowbound queens
I'm ripping up your silver screens.
I hold on to my last hope, which is living my life alive
Believing all things come to a man who goes to Hell
And somehow does not arrive.

[Refrain]

Michael Martin Murphey, 1978

No comments: