Friday, July 23, 2010

Odds-n-ends

Sometimes you end up with snippets of ideas.  In my [ADHD] case, most of the time.
  • Did you know S&H Greenstamps are still around?  They're now called Greenpoints.  When I was a kid, my mother used to fill the little booklets with those and yellow Top Value stamps.


  • I ran into three old acquaintances/friends at the grocery store the other night, and ended up in an extended conversation with one.  He asked if I knew he'd moved out to Paradise (about 40 miles away).  I said I thought he'd moved, but didn't know where, and asked whereabouts in Paradise he was staying.  (OK, I didn't really say "staying".)  He replied that it was actually Cottondale, if I knew where that was.  I said, "Yeah, on 2123."  He gave me some additional directions, and in turn, I noted three landmarks that would be on the way to his house, within a few hundred yards.  I think he thought I was psychic, or psycho, as in all the years we've known each other we have never had occasion to discuss Wise County.  My last picture of buzzards was about a mile or two from his house.

  • Speaking of buzzards, I observed a new roost of them today, about a dozen strong, between the country club and 114 on 2123.  No, I didn't take any pictures today.

  • I am a big fan of Dos Chiles in Bowie. Great food, great service.  I haven't eaten at the ones in Boyd or Bridgeport.
  • In Wichita Falls, I highly recommend the China Star buffet, on the west side of 287, between Maurine and Old Iowa Park Highway.  But I think my favorite is still The Great Wall buffet on Saginaw Boulevard.
  • Rounding out my dining picks this week: Raymond's B-B-Q in Bridgeport.  As much as I like Spring Creek, Raymond's hot buttered rolls put theirs to shame.
  • This next I stole from the WBAP morning show a few days ago.  Hal Jay asked if anyone knew that the kid who played banjo in Deliverance grew up to be Vice-President.  I got a good chuckle from that.
And, after he grew his, or someone's, hair out...


  •  Despite taking three books (Robert Fulghum What on Earth Have I Done; Ted Fishman China Inc; and Bob Newhart's autobiography) on an overnight trip, I instead watched Cash Cab, Mythbusters, and Dirty Jobs on the hotel TV.  So much for high ideals.

No comments: