Monday, January 3, 2011

Back to Work

After a 4½ day weekend, I return to work tomorrow.  In a way, I'm actually kind of looking forward to it.
  • Today was fun.  Had lunch with the [retired] president/chairman of a bank where I worked for 15 years.  Hadn't had lunch with him for a few months.
  • $2.95 burgers - any kind - at No Frills Grill on 377 on Mondays.  Mine was mushroom/swiss.
  • Mulched the leaves in the front yard, and the ones that had been on the driveway, a lot of the ones in the backyard.
  • I hate raking leaves and putting them in bags. I see them as bags and bags of soil nutrients that will have to be replaced. 
  • So, I rake and blow them into piles and use a mulching blade on them.  A little fertilizer and the soil is properly conditioned.
  • Went to the shooting range this afternoon, though it was a fairly short session.  Had hoped to finish off a box of .270 Win. so that I can prep the cases, neck size and reload them, as well as to try out the new spotting scope.  Unfortunately, it was late in the day, and the Range Officer didn't call any cease fires, so I busied myself on the falling plates course with some rimfire hanguns.
  • So-so results with the Ruger Standard.  Quite a bit better with the Single-Six.
  • Mine is from 1961 - pictured is a 1963 model with adjustable sights
  • Anyone familiar with the cellular communications industry?
  • I've noticed two vacant wireless stores, each near a Target anchor in a retail center (one AT&T, the other Verizon) near me.
  • Market saturation?
  • Am thinking of changing carriers.  Currently with T-Mo, but the 1000 anytime family plan minutes that I once thought was insane - well...not so much.  45¢ per additional minute chaps me.
  • Considering Metro PCS.  They have a base rate of $40, but I am more likely a candidate for the $45 or $50 plan.  Taxes included, unlimited minutes, text and web (though no tethering).  But, I'll have to pay for a phone, probably in the $200 range, maybe an Android.
  • Android - as if I care.  The phone I'm using now is a Samsung flip phone, about 4 years old. A pork-n-beans can and string setup is more advanced.
  • I'm just looking for a decent phone, QWERTY keyboard ('cause I'm really slow at texting) - could be a slider, 2.0 MP camera or better, and basic web access.
  • And, not that it means anything, but I'm not an Apple person.  So it matters not that Metro PCS doesn't offer iPhones.  I will acknowledge that people I know who have iPhones love them and can do some pretty cool things with them.  I helped a lawyer friend move some office furniture some time back, and was amazed when he checked the leveling of the file cabinets with an iPhone app.
  • Oldest son loves his Blackberry.  I have one at work - don't much care for it, but it's better than the Treo I had a couple of years ago.
  • I've spoiled myself the past few days with breakfasts of a single fried egg on toast, garnished with chili.  Tomorrow it'll probably be a quick cinnamon/raisin bagel, or some instant porridge with blueberries.
  • The spaghetti sauce from the other day was delicious (after I amended it with some zucchini squash and 'shrooms).  A batch of it will serve as lunch tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Almost every morning I buy 3 potato egg and cheese tacos with verde sauce. Eat two and give one away at work! It's become a thing to see who gets the extra taco. It's why I walk/run 3 miles outside every morning come rain, shine or ice. But I love my tacos! Every tells me they will kill me but you know somethings are worth the risk!