Sunday, December 9, 2012

Mmm...good!

Steinsuppe ist good food!

The picture that follows is from a couple of weeks ago.  After stuffing myself at Mom & Dad's for Thanksgiving, I noticed that Mother had set the bird's carcass aside on the kitchen counter, so I asked what she was going to do with it.  She didn't seem too enthusiastic about stripping it down for the last bits.

So, she seemed relieved when I offered to take it home, and she bagged it up in a zip-loc for me.

Ein.  The next morning, I spent about 10 minutes with a paring knife, cutting away the last meat from the bone, and ending up with about a pound or so.  Then I boiled the remainder for stock.

Zwei.  I cooked some wide spinach noodles, and some short-cut linguine, and set them aside.

Drei.  Two carrots, peeled and wavy-cut, brought to a boil in the stock.

Vier.  In a crock pot, I started with one generic (probably Aldi) can of chicken-noodle soup, to which I added a can of lowfat cream of mushroom soup.

Fünf.  Combined the turkey bits, noodles, and carrots with the canned soup, adding the stock until the desired consistency was reached.

Sechs.  Whoa, let me catch my breath - it's been a while since I got to Sechs!

Sieben.  A couple of Stunden in the crock pot, und...voilà!:


A tryptophantasmagoric treat!

Acht.  Essen!  I can't bake for shucks, since it requires precise measuring and temperatures and timing and stuff.  But give me a crock pot, and a handful of ingredients, and I can always come up with some pretty good comfort food.

I thought I was in dire straits when I found that my metal box of Nabisco Premium Saltine crackers was empty.  But, rummaging through the pantry, I found some Kroger thin & crispy wheat saltines as substitutes. 

They are the saltines - they are the saltines that swing!


Edit:  I guess I'm a trend-setter.  Today, Heidi Klum published ideas for spicing up ordinary soups.