Sunday, December 9, 2012

Museum of [almost] Modern Art


OK, it was actually my garage - although it is in serious need of a curator.

Rummaging through some boxes trying to consolidate stuff I could throw out, I came across the item pictured below, which I'm sure most of you would agree, is a work of art unto itself:

A fired .375 Holland & Holland Magnum W-W Super cartridge.

Originally named [in 1912] the .375 Belted Rimless Nitro-Express, the round was the second design to feature a 'belt' near the case head to establish headspace.  Lacking a strong shoulder, it would not have been suitable for a true rimless design, and a rim would've created feeding issues from the box or blind magazines of the bolt actions that were replacing break-open double rifles.

Capable of generating over 4600 ft/pounds of muzzle energy, the .375 H&H Magnum is considered one of the most popular calibers for African game due to its versatility, and is more than enough rifle for taking any large game in North America.  I wouldn't recommend it for Texas deer, unless you're lining up a half dozen side-by-side (but make sure you've got plenty of tags).

375vs338.png
From wikipedia - the .375 H&H Mag and .338 Win. Mag

About 20 years  ago, one of my customers told me he'd just sold his Ruger #1 Tropical in this caliber, for $300.  I could've cried.

I guess in my dotage, I can enjoy reminiscing about the 20th century, and America.

No comments: