Sunday, January 27, 2013

My other brother Donald

Well, not really.

This weekend I saw my best friend from high school - we've known each other since 4th grade - who presented me with probably one of the best birthday presents in the history of ever.

If you've read this blog for any time, you probably know that I don't need much prodding to include a Don Henley lyric (either from Eagles or solo works) phrase into a post, or in comments on someone else's blog.  Kinda like 'Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon', but different, I have a pet theory that just about any discussion, across a wide range of topics, can benefit from a Henley quote.  I was a huge fan from back in the '70s, graduated from NTSU (UNT to you youngsters), and firmly believe that his writing is at the pinnacle of the rock-n-roll genre.

So, to continue, awhile back my friend Mark learned that Don Henley was in the building where he works.  He retrieved a pair of CD covers from his office (serendipity), with a Sharpie, and asked Mr. Henley if he'd autograph them for a fan.  Which he did.  To complete the ensemble, my friend had the covers framed and presented them to me:


I was totally amazed and tickled.  Clearly one of the coolest gifts I've ever received.  As well, I appreciate that Mr. Henley took the time to sign the items.  And it's illustrative of my friend's thoughtfulness and generosity (there are many more examples) to seize the moment to do something really nice.

Thanks, Mark!

And, it'll go well with my autographed LP cover from my buddy Pete:


My wife and I stood in line several years ago, back when daughter was still in a stroller,
 at Virgin Music @ Grapevine Mills to get this autograph.

No comments: