Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Or beyond the last...

After tracking J. D. Souther's  You're Only Lonely LP again this morning, I was reminded of what a great song The Last in Love was.  I went looking for the Linda Ronstadt version, believing it to be a better interpretation of the work, but could not find it on Youtube, but did find that George Strait had done a nice recording of the song - I had no idea.  So I decided I'd go with that.


Maybe he was just Prince George back then?

Then, a couple of my brain cells finally rolled out of bed, and I remembered it wasn't Linda, but the late Nicolette Larson, frequent collaborator with Neil Young and Commander Cody's Lost Planet Airmen, who'd recorded the JD song on her eponymous debut album:


Blues outside my door
I don't even know if it's raining
But I've been here before
and I don't wanna be here again

Every now and then
Voices in the wind
Call me back to the first time
Far away and clear
you can hear the teardrops
Falling for the last in love


Excerpted music & lyrics by John David Souther 1979

No comments: