Saturday, July 31, 2021

Nice intro

 The interwebs are chock full of little swirls and eddies (Munster?). On YouTube you can find woodworking projects, instructions on how to fix a car or a sewing machine or how to play a musical instrument. And often, detailed analyses of some of the rock and roll standards that many of us were raised on. My apologies, sorry-not sorry, for ending a sentence with a preposition.

At least a couple of the channels weekly keep me in suspense regarding whether Stephanie Lynn Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham can put aside decades-long animosities for a final blowout tour of the classic '70s Fleetwood Mac lineup. (Author's note: Like most guys my age, back in the day I wanted Stevie to be my 'girlfriend'.) 

I've seen FM three times: Rumours tour @ TCCC, 1980 @ Reunion (LB was a bit under the weather), and early oughts @ Fair Park (sans Christine). At that last show, I thought the musical director did a phenomenal job utilising backup singers, seamlessly weaving their vocals to artfully conceal that Ms. Nicks' voice is shot. And without wishing to be disrespectful of her, I've found - anyone with me here? - that more and more (over and over?) Christine McVie has become MaryAnne, vis-a-vis Stevie's Ginger.

I probably watch more YouTube than the USDA RDA. So be it. I still hope a full FM reunion of 'The Five' can take place, but it sure seems that 'Bella Donna' is more 'Prima Donna', and likely the biggest impediment at this time.

This post was originally going to be an observation about a curious sub-genre of presumably teen girls playing covers of songs three or four times their age. Some of them seem quite talented - others, dressed very scantily, have passable musical talent, but appear to be marketing something else. Shocking, I know.

Anyway, this young lady, modestly dressed, does a really spot-on 12 string acoustic intro of WYWH, followed by some interesting slide playing on her Les Paul Jr.


No comments: