Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Time marches on

Maybe someone will recognize this demolition site. I spent a fair amount of my childhood years there, once one of the largest shopping venues between Dallas and Fort Worth. The view is to the southwest.


Kroger (the original one), Powell's Meat Market, a barbershop, Leonard Bros., Skillern's, M.E. Moses, Cooper's Toyland, Hancock Fabrics (my mother dragged me in there), J.C. Penney, Kresge's, S&H Green Stamps, E. M. Kahn, Mr. Meagher's Chateau Theater, and Sanger-Harris (not in this view - razed decades ago). Not an exhaustive list, but I can remember patronizing or shopping in all of those. There may be others I've forgotten (in 40-ish years). The last couple of places I frequented were the Chateau Theater the mid-'80s, and a couple of visits to Harbor Freight (which was in the old Skillern's slot) in this century.

This shot is looking east. As noted, Sanger-Harris was demolished decades ago, would have been to the right (south) of the Baptist Church. Doesn't appear that the site has been rebuilt (I think these pictures are c. November 2020).

After a brief stint overseas (non-military related), we relocated to the community a few miles south and  west of here. In the years following, much has changed there, as well (a toll road now runs directly over where the stables once stood where I kept my horse).

 
(Naturally, the original of this is blocked)

At the southern end of that community, in those days, there was a secluded lane that was swell for resting one's motorcar, listening to music, and enjoying female companionship. Although 'progress' is encroaching, a check of Google Maps satellite view indicates that it remains a refuge not yet molested by development. I shan't disclose its location.



No comments: