Monday, May 11, 2009

30th Class Reunion

I participated in a planning meeting last week for my upcoming class reunion next month. This is a big one.

Three decades.

Wow, where'd the time go?

Actually, our planning group (four of us), was only ten shy of a full [surviving] class reunion, since there are fourteen remaining. I guess you could say it was a small class. The wife of one of the out-of-town alums was reported to have remarked to him that "so many of your classmates are either dead or gay."

I guess that's sort of true. We started with 16, over the years learned that two are gay, and have lost two to tragic circumstances.

Anyway, we came up with a theme, a sort of menu, and drink list. With a group our size, it's easy to have whole families attend. Most of us started families late, so I don't think any of us has kids who've graduated college, but many of us have high-schoolers and grade schoolers. None in diapers, as far as I know.

Should be fun, even if there isn't any element of "Hey, do you remember me?"

4 comments:

todd said...

30 years! Wow! What's the theme? McGyver? Wheel of Fortune? The Nature Channel? Is it true that the drink list includes a Geritol cocktail called the "Screaming Depends"? Seriously, I hope you and the other gay guy have a good time.

Collectionsite said...

I have my 30th year reunion next month. Can not wait to see who, what and where ! And like you I think my class had like less than 20 people. Small town USA.

I am going to tell them that I spent my life as a child trying to get away from "Small Town USA" and then I spent my adult life trying desperately to get back to "Small Town USA".

Life was NEVER so easy when I had so little. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

David H said...

you'll have to let us know how it goes. My 30-yr will be next summer (2010), looking forward to it!

LandShark 5150 said...

Debating on going to my 30. I've only seen a handful of the old classmates since graduating. Went to my 10, had a hotel room at the place where we were having it at and still managed to show up as it was ending. Walked in and everyone said that I was still the same. Guess they're were right - skipped most of senior year. 1ish you fun at it and have a good Memorial day weekend.