Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Quickie Movie Reviews

Since it was so wet this weekend, I ended up renting nine DVDs at the Family Video store, and got them back today before late fees start accruing. Here's some quick picks and pans:

Out Cold - Basically a bunch of stoners/slackers working in a ski resort in Alaska, playing pranks. Lee Majors as the hotshot Daddy Warbucks developer who tries to buy the resort and take it corporate. Recommendation: Don't bother.

Dr. Detroit - Husband and wife Dan Aykroyd and Donna Dixon in a comedy. I was busy making breakfast, but the few scenes I saw didn't cause me to want to watch it later.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - As I have written previously, I'm trying to do some remedial movie watching of films of cultural significance. While I missed the first part of this one, cooking again, I caught most of it (had read the book in junior- or high school). It was fun to see Christopher Lloyd and Danny DeVito in some of their earliest roles. I didn't consider Louise Fletcher's Nurse Ratched as evil as I had envisioned her from the book.

Hooper - I wanted to show the kids that Reynolds' dramatic turn in Deliverance was somewhat of an anomaly, by juxtaposing it with some of his bubble-gum fare. Will probably rent The End, Cannonball Run, or Smoky and the Bandit as a tribute to Dom DeLuise. Cannonball would be a hoot just for the all-star cast.

James Bond: Quantum of Solace - I admit to not watching a single frame of this one. My middle son chose it and seemed to enjoy it. I liked Connery and Moore as Bond, wouldn't mind seeing Live and Let Die again, but otherwise not a huge Bond fan. In case you're wondering, as I was before msn.dictionary-ing it, a quantum is the opposite of plethora. Do you know what is a plethora?

Outlaw Justice - I guess I'm easy pickin's for Willie Nelson flicks, even after that last one that was a total dud. I figured Kristofferson and Travis Tritt couldn't hurt. And, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that Waylon had a minor role and some narrative work (a la Dukes of Hazzard). Jonathan Banks, Victor Maitland's goon from Beverly Hills Cop, does a turn as an impotent Sheriff. Not cinematic gold, but one thumb up.

The Pursuit of Happyness - My disappointment was that I didn't have time to watch this, but have already seen it on the big screen and would've given it two thumbs up from my recollection.

I know this doesn't add up to nine movies. One was a unicorn movie for my daughter, and I just can't remember what the last one was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget that Jackie Chan is in Cannonball Run. He didn't speak any English at that time. Way before he became popular over here.

el Guapo said...

Jefe, why would you say I have a plethora if you do not know what is a plethora?