Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Cool! No, really cool!

I owe a debt of gratitude to my Dad tonight for coming over earlier in the evening with a canister of R-22 and a manifold gauge set to top off my A/C that was not quite getting the job done this past weekend. Of course, after I took the bonnet off the compressor to get it ready, I noticed that I needed to wash the coils down, which I promptly did after it was charged. Any readers know where a layperson can get R-22, in case I need to replenish his supply?

I don't have any problem charging car A/C systems with R-12 (finally gave away my last two or three cans last year, since I don't have any more vehicles with that refrigerant) or R-134, but have to admit, I'm not trained on using the manifold gauges. Am also wondering what's the difference in R-134 lubricants - I've seen two different ones at the Wal-Mart? Are they compatible? Anyone out there know?

Anyway, thanks Dad, it'll be a lot easier to fall asleep tonight.

4 comments:

Denney Crane said...

Does he hire out?

I'm definitely interested!

an Donalbane said...

No, no. He's one of those kind of people who can do almost anything - lots of things better than people who do it for a living.

Worked his entire [white collar]career for a blue-chip DJIA company, retired and did politics for about 10 years.

Took flying lessons when I was in high school. To save money on annuals (and because he had greater confidence in his own work than in others'), he got an A&P. Also earned instrument, multi-engine, and part 135 ratings.

In the past 20 years, he's rebuilt 2 Jeep engines and 1 Toyo FJ-40 I-6. Does excellent welding. Loves to ride snowmobiles - has a pretty snazzy Polaris. Of 7 vehicles (one's a motorhome), 5 are 4WD.

Sort of a Renaissance dude, still married to the same woman nearly 51 years.

todd said...

Now you can sleep inside!

an Donalbane said...

Probably not. It's been very nice inside tonight, but when I let the dog out, I noticed it was very nice outside, with a slight breeze.

The call of the wild is just too strong...