Friday, June 5, 2009

Earlier Post, Explained

A couple of posts back was a random jumble of bulleted items, under the rubric "Did You Know?". Most of it was nonsense, which should have been self-evident.

What wasn't evident was, why would someone post such a thing? The premise of the post came about as a challenge.

Earlier in the day I had shown a copy of the extended ASCII table to my friend and colleague, Todd the Blogger, who asked me, "What the heck is that?"

I explained that it was my source of special characters, specifically the "²" (squared exponent) that I use when referring to fellow blogger Don D as D². Not yet quite impressed, Mr. Blogger said he'd simply assumed I had a "special" keyboard. I think there was a harmonic overtone in his suggestion implying I'd ridden on the short bus in childhood.

Nonetheless, he asked "Can I have a copy of that?"

A while later, in my office, he said "I don't think you could use more than about five of those in a blog post." Like the Southwest Airlines commercial, that statement, to me, was tantamount to "It's On!"

So, the resulting gibberish, using way more than five special characters, I think proved my point.


Oh yeah, and the next morning, I did give him his own copy. We'll see if he puts it to good use in his blog.

No comments: