Saturday, October 10, 2009

Plans gone awry

(Remington Model 660, a/k/a the poodle-shooter, .243 Win.)

vs.

(a poodle, supposedly related to the canine family)


My aspiration for today was to take the poodle-shooter to the range to see if I could make it put holes in paper at 100 yards. I purchased said poodle-shooter nearly three years ago and have yet to fire a shot through it - it is very similar to one I had as a kid, with which I shot my first deer and turkey. (Its stable mate, in 6mm Rem., purchased about 15 years ago, has served well - I've taken a whitetail and a Sika deer, each with one shot, and my oldest son shot his first deer, also with one shot.) Unfortunately, there was a match going on at the range, and even though it didn't require all the lanes of fire, there was no open shooting.

Maybe next time...

Editorial note: The author of this blog has never shot any poodles and does not advocate the shooting of poodles. The term "poodle-shooter" is simply a derisive, or in this case, self-deprecating, term for a small caliber rifle. Shooting of Paris Hilton-style dogs, if you can call them such, is a topic open for discussion, subject to the constraints of your conscience, applicable game laws, and local ordinances.

9 comments:

Denney Crane said...

I have 30 rifles, but only shoot 1. For over 20 years, the Remington model 700 BDL .223 my father gave me has yet to let me down. Never found it necessary to use anything else, except elk hunting, and they won't let me use it in CO.

todd said...

What's the season on poodles?

an Donalbane said...

1) A little salt and pepper, sage, and basil in a dry rub at least an hour before cooking.

2) For quiet, well behaved poodles, there is no open season. For the yippy ones, no closed season.

Anonymous said...

I did a whole round of poodle shooters one night in cancun.
The last thing I remember is my date pulling off her wig..........

Dew

todd said...

That wig was making me hot.

Anonymous said...

That's what Dew said...

el chupacabra said...

I needed that gun in my dreams last night: I foolishly glanced at a Twilight book just before bed AND looked in the paper for a dog for my children AND a sale on a new set of cutlery (did you know they still make Ginsus?)anyway, so no surprise, I kid you not- I was chased by vampire dogs and all I had to defend myself with was my mothers old butcher knife.

an Donalbane said...

...and just what were you mixing with your gin last night? Oh, yeah, reading Twilight.

Luckily, or unluckily, for me, I can read for about 5 minutes at night and I fall plumb asleep.

No dreams of vampire dogs though...

Chalupa, what happens if you cross a vampire with a zombie? (I am not up to speed on such things.)

Ryan said...

My sister and brother in law gave me a .257 Weatherby for Christmas a few years ago and I love it, the only setback is that the Weatherby ammo is INSANE.