Friday, February 26, 2010

Plenty of Heartaches

Not by my choice, I've been single now for a couple of years.  Woo-hoo!

So, in a weak moment at some point, I took a look at Match.com, one of the supposedly leading online dating sites.  "It's okay to look", they say. I never dated anyone I met online, but did go out with a couple of women that I already knew after I saw that they were on Match also.  As Chuck Woolery might say: "No love connection."

After my initial subscription ran out, I went to the free subscription, which allows one to get - I am not making this up - "winks", but doesn't give access to emails.  After all, the service is trying to make money, so they want your PAID subscription.  Duh!

That didn't work out so well.  A few lonely hearts "winked", but as I didn't have full access, I couldn't respond (other than to wink back if I was so inclined, and rarely was).  Finally, I decided to turn off my profile a few months back.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, I must've signed up for another "free" online dating service.  So, every other day or so, it sends me an email telling me who it thinks are matches for my interests.  Because my life's so boring at the present, I'll usually log on to the site and take a look at what who they think I'd like, or who's viewed my profile. Occasionally there'll be a brief email (this service does support emailing), but so far I haven't had any substantive email conversations with any of the women, and haven't really seen any profiles that really intrigue me, either. I think I'm about ready to turn off the profile on the free service also.

Maybe I'll move to the mountains and become a hermit...

3 comments:

David H said...

I've had a couple friends have very good luck (one ended up happily married) with e-harmony... though even with their extensive vetting process, i guess it's still up to the individual as to how they describe themselves...

Pallas said...

There's nothing wrong about using online dating sites. Destiny is building a bridge of chance to someone you love.

an Donalbane said...

Hmmm. I would be cautious about dating someone named Destiny. Sounds like a stripper name to me.