Monday, May 24, 2010

Chico and the Man

Actually, I'm not sure which one I am.  Probably the Man, since I am advancing in years, and sometimes cantankerous.  Oh, and I'm not Latino. 

Anyway, most folks probably look forward to getting home from work, cracking open a cold one, watching the news, or whatever. 

Not me.

Today, having spent my lunch hour running from the Ford house to the NAPA (auto parts, not the vineyards), and Builders Surplus just for good measure, I rushed home with my newfound treasures, pictured:


The 90° rubber elbow, center, which connects the air plenum with the PCV valve, had developed a nasty crack (read: vacuum leak), resulting in a confused MAF (don't worry, that's not a dirty term - it stands for Mass Air Flow) sensor.  And, by the time you tear it down to where you can access that @#%&$ little rubber piece ($24, by the way), it just makes sense to replace the plug wires (plugs not pictured) also.  Got most of it installed - will finish the assembly tomorrow.

Hopefully, this'll put some new flubber in my flying flivver.

Update:  Finished the assembly, started her up, seems to idle normally now.  Used the code reader to cancel the "check engine" light.  Next step, get a fresh inspection sticker.  I'm looking forward to driving this one - have been missing my JBL sound system and 6 disc changer.

5 comments:

todd said...

huh, huh, you said MAF. huh, huh.

an Donalbane said...

And if that dirty MAF causes my car to run rough, then I use CRC® MAF Cleaner.

Available at NAPA.

todd said...

I'm trying to figure out what either Chico or the man have to do with this...

an Donalbane said...

You young 'uns...don't you remember the Chico and the Man TV show. The old guy owned a mechanic shops and Freddie Prinze (Sr.) worked for the old guy and gave him lots of grief.

Anonymous said...

You coulda named it "Chico's and the Man", about a Wise County lawyer who shops at upscale women's boutiques.