Monday, August 30, 2010

Happy Anniversary!

In a standard deck of playing cards, there are 52 cards.  There are also 52 weeks in a year. This week, my parents celebrate 52 years of marriage.

These days, I don't know if it's just the luck of the draw that allows two people to spend a lifetime together.  Actually, I'm pretty sure that while luck may play a small role, it has much more to do with the old-fashioned notion of commitment - the kind people used to take seriously when they said their marriage vows.

I could probably brag on my folks, they're pretty remarkable people, but at the same time, quite ordinary.  They're not perfect, they get on one another's nerves occasionally, but they do genuinely enjoy each other's company and work together, rather than against each other.

In all the time I've known them, which is to say my whole life, I've only rarely heard them argue, and although the arguments may have been spirited, they were not mean-spirited or destructive.  I think I've argued with each of them more than I've ever seen them argue with each other.  Never during my childhood did I ever wonder if my parents would follow the pattern of some of the other neighborhood families that divided into two households.

Sharing interests is probably a plus, and out of objectivity I'd have to admit here that the playing field has probably tilted in Dad's favor - he's had more interests, kind of a Renaissance man.  And Mom has always been very supportive and his biggest helper and fan.  Her interests have not been as wide ranging, and I think over time he's come to recognize his good fortune and takes an interest in hers.  Next month, they will be spending a few nights in a tipi and wearing 1840's clothing - because it's something they enjoy doing.  Over New Years, they'll likely go snowmobiling.

So, although I'll never be able to match the longevity of their marriage (unless I get hitched again right away, and live to be 101) - here's to their parade of roses, with love and admiration:  Contratulations, Mom & Dad!

4 comments:

YM said...

Congratulations to your parents!
My parents will celebrate their
53rd in December. I think you hit the nail on the head with regards to their generation making a committment and sticking to it. I wasn't even sure what divorce meant when I was a kid.

todd said...

I know not of this committment that you speak of...

an Donalbane said...

Your Highness: Congrats to your folks as well. Maybe it's a Kansas thing...

Todd: I understand...

Anonymous said...

29 years today--but "committed" not so much!!I hate that word. Sounds like a psych ward placement. Or something you have to keep on doing! Committed --like you hate the situation but refuse to be a quitter. No, that is not the word that comes to mind. And I would not stay in a marriage only because I was committed... That would just be miserable.