Saturday, August 14, 2010

Weekly Wrap-Up

I guess it was sort of a slow blog week.
  • On Tuesday, between Oklaunion and Vernon, got about 40 minutes of water, falling right out of the air.  I noticed that at one point, my car's outside air temp showed 79°, at 4:30 in the afternoon!  Time to get out the parka... 
  • Scanning for a radio station in the car, I found a classic rock outlet, 104.7 The Bear from Burkburnett-Wichita Falls.  Pretty good play list: Tull, Boston, Eagles (Seven Bridges Road), Rainbow, Wings, Foreigner (meh), Zeppelin, Genesis, Journey, E. Money, Top, Frampton, Queen (meh), Seger, and Bruce.  Now this radio station is one of those that punches up the low-frequency EQ for all their on-air jocks and jingles, trying to sound like the most bad-A bunch on the planet: "The Bear 104 - Outlaw Rock-n-Roll!".  OK, I don't care what pose you strike, as long as the music's good. 
  • What made me chuckle, though, was the station break teaser: "Coming up next, KISS - those are some rock-n-roll cowboys!"  KISS?  Cowboys?
  • These look like cowboys to you?
  • Now, of course I recognize a metaphor when I hear it.  I just thought it would be fun to imagine it literally. I figured any self-respecting AQHA equine would snigger like Mr. Ed if he saw Gene or Paul stride into the corral.  And would plumb fall over laughing if Ace or Peter tried to mount.
  • On the plus side, when the station did play the KISS song, it was Detroit Rock City, not the ubiquitous Rock and Roll All Nite
  • Detroit Rock City, I'm sure you remember, was the B-side to the Beth 45.  It's OK if you didn't remember, since I did.
  • But you DO remember 45s, don't you?
  • These are cowboys:
  • They can be seen on permanent display at The Amon Carter Museum.  Oh, and they also have .45s.   And .44-40s, and possibly, but not likely, some little sissy guns like .36s.
  • When viewing this painting, the [2nd from right] black horse's  eyes will follow you around the room.
  • This is a cowboy (possibly the one on the far left in the above painting):
  • In the old days, the cowboys lived in black-and-white. So, maybe there is a connection to KISS...
  • I am still skirmishing with the ants in my kitchen, going into the third week.  So far I've tried vinegar solution ("As seen on the Internet").  Nope.  Sage - recommended on AnObiter's blog as a remedy for flies.  Ants are not flies.  Boric Acid powder.  Boring.  Bay leaves bombed.  Louisiana Hot Sauce.  I don't think so, Boudreaux.  Isopropyl alcohol 91%.  Sorry, doc.
  • This man portrayed cowboys in film, and foreigners perceived him as a cowboy:
  • We could use a cowboy like him today.
  • I remembered that beer was supposed to repel ants.  So I poured some Warsteiner, (of course not the whole bottle - I'm not that stupid!) on some paper towel blots and strategically placed them around the countertop and sink.  I didn't use American beer - don't want to get in trouble with UCLA or PETA for cruel and unusual treatment of critters.
  • No emails please.  Yes, I'm a bit of a beer snob student of homebrewing (mainly Scotch/Brown Ales), but I actually do drink American brands.  The Warsteiner just happened to be in the fridge.
  • I have Papazian's book(s), but haven't brewed a batch in years.  These days I probably only drink 3-4 beers...a month.
  • Here are some outlaws:
  • OK, not real outlaws, but they did change the direction of country music about 35 years ago.
  • I put out some ground red pepper for the ants, in case they didn't get drunk. These ants are like NVA, fighting a guerilla war of attrition, against an enemy that they think will lose his will to fight.
  • They don't know me.
  • The. Greatest. Ever. Football Cowboy:
  • Bob Lilly, #74.
  • Anyone know who does the low range (kinda like the Oak Ridge Boys dude) harmony on Seven Bridges Road?  Definitely too low for Schmit, Frey, Walsh, and probably even Henley.  Felder, maybe?
  • A wanna-be cowboy:
  • Who says you have to grow up?
  • I must be doing something wrong when ordering Asian food. I wrote recently about some particularly spicy Kung Pao on Jacksboro Highway. Well, Tuesday evening I graced the Genghis Grill, went with the #11 surf-and-turf recipe card. Yeah, I went off-recipe here and there, but I didn't think a half-measure of curry powder would be that hot.
  • Wonder how ants like curry powder?
  • A fake, uh, cowboy:
  • He don't shoot straight.
  • Please welcome The South 40 to the recommended reading list, published from metropolitan Chico, Texas. I put the link up since the peripatetic Peter Pan Wise County attorney, who lives about five minutes from me, removed it from his "Inferior Blogs" section. Actually, I used RPM's blog to replace Blue Collar, a good blog, but one which hadn't posted since October 2009.
  • For my list, I renamed it Stay Thirsty.
  • A rock-n-roll plow-boy, not a cowboy:
  • It's a start...
  • Hollywood, which is really not that creative, and would rather milk a concept to death (hence all the sequels and remakes), is remaking the 1981 Dudley Moore comedy classic, Arthur.  Strangely, I think that with Russell Brand, it might just work.  That boy seems like a train wreck (I haven't seen his other film  Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but will probably go to see Get Him to the Greek, itself a derivative work; my knowledge of him comes from appearances on Leno's show), only less predictable. 
  • Lilliputians Liverpudlians, not cowboys:
  • Found that while searching for the other KISS images.
  • I really should change the oil on the sedan, and finally put the registration sticker on the windshield of the SUV (expired in June).
  • Closing today's post, here are some Desperados:
  • Rock-n-roll Desperados.

4 comments:

YM said...

This post is greatness.

an Donalbane said...

Thanks! It was fun weaving it together.

- Doolin Donald

Anonymous said...

Very clever!

Anonymous said...

Really awesome post. Enjoyed!