Tuesday, August 3, 2010

More miscellany

  • Have you heard the radio commercial for mattresses, telling people that if their mattress is over 8 years old, it has doubled in weight due to sweat, oils, skin cells, and dust mites?  In addition to being sort of disgusting, the claim is dubious at best.  Obviously, whether a mattress has gone bad would depend on its owners' hygiene, type of mattress pad used, whether it's a guest bed, and probably several other factors.  I hate it when marketers try to hornswoggle consumers. I wouldn't buy from that firm. 
  • Maybe Sleep Experts (Christine Cook is cute), or the Mattress Giant, if I didn't go to Sam's or Costco.
  • As I drive around the western Metromess, I notice that nearly every RV dealer seemingly has a few of the surplus FEMA/Katrina trailers auctioned last month, as reported by RPM.
  • Watering the plants on my deck this afternoon after work, I heard the ice cream truck in the neighborhood, playing We Wish You A Merry Christmas.  In August?  At least no one was dancing in front of the ice cream truck.  So far as I know...
  • I love the stockyards.
I'm not too proud to pee outside, if I have to...and just what are the Air Conditions?

Enlargenate to read window copy.

Is this Western World?  Is Yul Brynner gonna pop up somewhere?

  • Lunch today at RiceExpress on Jacksboro Highway.  Hispanic workers making Chinese food.  I kept thinking about Cheech & Chong.  The Kung Pao Chicken special for $2.99, and a couple of egg rolls for another 99¢.  And when I say Kung Pao, it was Kung POW!  Don't know what kind of peppers were in there, but I had beads of sweat on my forehead when I finished.  Good deal on good food, but hopefully the next time I stop in there the special won't be quite so spicy.
  • One of the employees at the QT today looked like Linda Ronstadt, circa 1975.   Grrr!  Now, if she had looked like Linda, circa 2010, well, I'm sure she'd, uh, probably have a good voice...
  • Saw a King Ranch F-250 on TX-199 pulling a '70s era fiberglass outboard runabout with a big Johnson.  (OK, it could have been an Evinrude or a Merc for all I know, but, indulging my inner 14 year-old, I wanted to write it that way, alright?)  Seemed sort of a mismatch.  Every time there was an undulation in the road, I expected the transom on that boat to just break off from the weight of that motor.
  • The ants continue their march on my kitchen, mostly unabated.  I used up the last of my vinegar mix (as suggested by the internet as a 'green' solution) to little effect.   Apparently, I have to replace these ants with some that read the internet.  I wish Chupacabra would hurry with the C-4...

3 comments:

YM said...

The Cadillac is where we spent most of the evening on my birthday. The air conditions were at level three and the indoor plumbing worked well once I made it through the line to the stall. It may have been quicker to use the alley.

el chupacabra said...

Interesting you should mention the C4 Don-O. I started formulating a post regarding my first use of that magic substance this past weekend. Actually kinda weird- hadn't consciously thought of that day in years.

todd said...

Huh, huh...He said "hornswoggle"...Huh, huh!