Friday, October 8, 2010

Ah Love Texas!

It's said that one oughtn't ask someone if they're from Texas.  If they are, the story goes, they'll tell ya, and if'n they aren't, well, no sense embarrassing a body...

I'll disclose that I weren't born here, but reckon that living in the Lone Star State for over 40 years would make me purt' near as naturalized as I'm gonna get.

Here's a scene I saw today:

SW corner of Main & 25th

Now, as I turned at that intersection, I'd had in mind to get this picture, and had rolled my window down for that purpose.  While I was successful in snapping it - I missed the better opportunity, as on the opposite corner were four of the purtiest cowgirls you ever did see, fixin' to cross the street.  But, I didn't have the passenger window down and probably would've looked like a voyeur taking their picture anyway.

So I drove on to my next destination.  In the mirror, I'd notice a couple of cowgirls on horseback, heading my direction.  As they neared, I got this picture:

Note the cupholder on the second gal's saddle.

Noticing me, these ladies called out, friendly like, asking me if I'd missed the memo that it was "Ride Your Horse To Work Day".  Obviously I had. 

And I suppressed the fleeting thought of responding by asking if these cowgirls wanted to save their horses, because: a) I'm couthful and such, and, b) with my conservative attire, I weren't dressed like no cowboy today anyhow:

No, that's not the steering wheel of a King Ranch F-250.  Pity.

Those other cowgirls at the first intersection?  Yeah, I was maybe, probably old enough to be their father.  Ugh!


7 comments:

aroundthecorner said...

Dang you Donald. Your breaking the Man law! Stop and get gas please. Don't wait till the light comes on and your in a hurry to get somewhere!

an Donalbane said...

Nah! The man law doesn't say anything about driving on a quarter tank, as long as it's low humidity.

It's runnin' out of gas that the man code frowns on.

RPM said...

I always keep a set of spurs and a piggin' string handy for just such an emergency.

Home on the Range said...

cupholder on the horse. Awesome!

el chupacabra said...

What a drag it is getting old

an Donalbane said...

Thank you Kevin Jagger...

mzchief said...

Only in Ft. Worth is it possible to encounter random people on horseback riding down Main Street and it be perfectly normal.

Being old enough to be some chick's father is sooooo much better than not getting old enough to be some chick's father. I really do not mind getting older, I totally mind the only other option.