Monday, October 18, 2010

And now, a little Willie...

One of the animal rescue groups has a commercial featuring this song.  I am a huge fan of animal rescue, as well as of this song, so I thought I'd post it here:



In the commercial, the stark photographs of abandoned pets pull at the heartstrings while Willie Nelson sings in the background.  Then, of course, the pitch for a contribution to the pet rescue cause.  I would possibly donate, but, being a bit tight on funds in this economy, have decided not to, partially because I have and am doing my part by: a) My last three canines (two from the Roanoke shelter '89 & '91, now in eternal rest in Bowie; current one from HSNT on East Lancaster in Fort Worth) have come from shelters, and b) As a condition of adoption, have been spayed so as not to contribute to future overpopulation.

I can only imagine the circumstances that cause people to abandon pets, and pray that I'm never in such a predicament.  The unconditional love that a pet offers its owner(s) - my Sienna always has a huge tail wag when I come home, and is overjoyed whenever the kids are in the house - is something that makes a house a home.  The beautiful auburn hairs that quickly fill the vacuum cleaner are but a small inconvenience.



I try to do right by Sienna, showing as much excitement to see her as she shows me.  Lavishing her with praise, and occasional treats, walks, and rides in the car.  Just yesterday, watching a football game on the sofa, she'd sidled up to me, shoulder to shoulder, her nose nuzzling my ear.  As she wished, I gently rubbed her tummy until she was fast asleep, and conspicuoulsy snoring.

This weekend's sermon cautioned married couples, husbands and wives alike, about treating the institution as an accessory, a mere bauble.  Lots of folks get married, because it's the thing to do, but over time, that wonderful new accessory becomes simply something that, while still functional, is relegated to the back of the closet, the bottom of the drawer, a place on that hard-to-get-to shelf.  The one who was once the standard of beauty, or saviore-faire, becomes the ordinary, not necessarily despised, but no longer celebrated.

I don't want to get too awkward in drawing comparisons between having a pet and being married - trust me, I'm not into weird.  But I do sometimes wonder, despite all my best efforts to praise and do right by Sienna - if she had the autonomy to decide to stay or go, what would she do?  I only hope that I can reciprocate the seeming unconditional love so that she never leaves. 

And if God should again tether me to one of the fairer gender, I pray I can do so sevenfold.

6 comments:

an Donalbane said...

OK, I know how [some of] you think.

Do not play on the post's title with a comment of: "That's what she said..."

I'm way ahead of you.

todd said...

I thought this was going to be an autobiographical post but anyway...check out Love me like my dog at http://www.roughstock.com/audio/scotty-emerick-love-me-like-my-dog

mzchief said...

Sienna has the choice whether or not she seeks your gentle touch and approval. Not all dogs love their humans unlike Sienna who seems to be quite fond of her humans.

Dogs are magical. It saddens me beyond words and outrages me to the point of wanting to do violence toward the human who abandons their loving pet.


Everyone who obtains a dog should be required to commit this poem, by Kathie Floyd, to memory.

A Dog sits waiting

A Dog sits waiting in the cold autumn sun

Too faithful to leave, too frightened to run.

He’s been there for days now with nothing to do

But sits by the road just waiting for you.

He can’t understand why you left him that day;

He thought you were stopping to go with him and play.

He’s sure you’ll come back, and that’s why he stays.

How long can he suffer, how many more days?

His legs have grown weak, his throat parched and dry.

He’s sick now from hunger, he falls with a sigh.

He lays down his head, he closes his eyes.

I wish you could see how a waiting dog dies.

an Donalbane said...

MZ - Wow! That poem is 100% on target.

It's one thing to cast off a person - at least there is some discussion - but the utter futility that a pet feels, not knowing why its master abandoned it, is beyond my comprehension.

You won't be surprised to hear that I'm a fan of the old maxim/prayer: "Lord, let me be half the man my dog thinks I am."

an Donalbane said...

Todd - I knew if I threw a slow pitch like that I'd get a strike.

Good song on the link!

Anonymous said...

Finally a doggy post! She is awesome! I've been blessed with great dogs and it seems so have you!