Thursday, October 7, 2010

Imagine

So, today I was driving down I-20 and looked over to the iconic Sanger-Harris architecture at Hulen Mall, now occupied by Macy's (I'm not sure if I've ever been in a Macy's).  I know that most folks today have probably forgotten about Sanger-Harris, but it was a Dallas/Fort Worth staple in the'60s and '70s.  There was one in Plymouth Park in Irving when I was a kid, with three floors and a basement.

In the fall of 1980 as a sophomore in college, I worked as seasonal help in the cash office of Sanger's at North Hills Mall, as a second, part-time job.  I wanted to work on the sales floor, for commissions, but since I had money handling experience, they put me in the cash office, taking payments and processing credit apps. 

Driving home on FM 1938 the night of December 8, they played three John Lennon songs in a row, which I thought was peculiar.  Then the announcer came on and reported that Lennon had been shot dead outside of his New York apartment building.  I suppose it's axiomatic that events like that, and the attempt on President Ronald Wilson Reagan's life almost four months later, are seared into your memory such that you can remember exactly where you were when you heard the news.

I won't pander and say John was my favorite Beatle - I thought he was a bit too acerbic, and I didn't care for his wife (still don't - such an odd bird).  But I enjoyed the music, and his, with and without his mates, was possibly the most influential on my generation.  He had earned his place in the rock pantheon ("Pantheon the ground, pantheon the ground, lookin' like..."   Stop it!) and certainly did not deserve the fate that befell him.

Lennon would be 70 tomorrow.  I found this quote, supposedly attributed to him: "Rituals are important. Nowadays it's hip not to be married. I'm not interested in being hip."


Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun.

8 comments:

aroundthecorner said...

Well stated.

todd said...

Mark David Chapman and I have something in common: we don't miss John Lennon.

YM said...

lol @ pantheon the ground.

I'm not a Yoko Ono fan either. I saw a PBS special once about her...um...music, if that's what you'd call it. It sounded more like a cat fight.

My fav would be George Harrison.

an Donalbane said...

Todd, you have a wonderful economy of sentimentality.

RPM said...

Wasn't there was a Sanger-Harris on Camp Bowie that later became Cox's?

Kathleen... said...

You know, I kinda like the "not hip" bit. Rather impressive.....can't stand that Yoko.

I DO remember Sanger Harris!! Wasn't it Joske's before then??

an Donalbane said...

RPM - No, that was Cox's, which became Stripling & Cox in 1981, part of the Dunlap chain of stores, closed in 2007 and then was torn down last year.

There was also a Monnig's chain - I remember one at North Hills Mall, and also one in Colleyville/Hurst (dated a girl who worked there). I don't know what became of them.


Obi - No, Joske's was the former Titches. Sangers, part of Federated Stores, became Foley's then Macy's.

I wasn't sure how I remembered that, or if I'd dreamed it...so of course I googled it (like the info above). Titches, founded in Dallas in 1902, was owned by Allied Stores, consolidated with Joske's and rebranded in 1979, then Dillard's bought the Joske's chain in 1987.

The only Titche's I remember being in was at Irving Mall - they used to be the West anchor, before the expansion.

I'm just barely old enough to remember the old Leonard's at Plymouth Park in Irving, before it became Dillard's and later moved to the mall.

mzchief said...

I do remember Sanger Harris. I was shocked, several months ago, to drive past what was North Hills Mall and to realize it was gone.

The Beatles were over and done with by the time I was old enough to care and I never did get into their music.