Saturday, October 23, 2010

Also Sprach Ecclesiastes

Now, some of you will find this a bore.  If so, just skip it.

Others will not be surprised, knowing my penchant for the arcane and remote.  You see, I was raised in a conservative environment, albeit one that reverberated with the strains of the 'modern folk' movement of the late '50s and the early '60s: Seeger, Limeliters, Kingston Trio, PP&M, Brothers Four, Chad Mitchell Trio, Joan Baez (but not particularly Dylan), Judy Collins.

I was looking for a reference to this song, because, as King Solomon (presumably) wrote in the Book of Ecclesiastes, I am increasingly aware of the changes of the seasons, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg-and-dart (oops!, sorry, Henley got tangled up in there a bit) that comprise the cycle of life. As I wrote in commentary on Thunder Tales, I'm no longer seventeen, though thirty something years later Running on Empty always transports me back to that magical age.

So, I was pleasantly surprised to happen across this historical gem.  The audio quality is not great, but it's truly a time capsule, showcasing a young Judy Collins with the song's composer, probably the foremost folk movement figure of the 20th century (along with Woody Guthrie and Dylan), the venerable Pete Seeger, who also wrote or co-wrote the folk standards Where Have All the Flowers Gone? and  If I Had a Hammer.



No, it's not the 'definitive' Byrds version (which legendary D/FW radio personality Ralph Chapman used for his final sign-off from station KLUV in 2005), but I hope you found it as interesting as I did.

A time to build up, a time to break down

A time to dance, a time to mourn

A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together

...and a time for every purpose, under Heaven

I don't really want to be seventeen again, but instead, as I look out and see the storm clouds forming, embrace the changing season and welcome the new joys and challenges it brings.

6 comments:

YM said...

That is so weird. I was thinking of that very passage this morning as I was getting ready to go out in the rain, and then the song came to mind too.

RPM said...

I met Judy Collins and have her autograph. I did an interview with her back in 1986. The tapes are long lost, but I still have the autograph. She was a stunning woman and much smaller than I imagined.

an Donalbane said...

RPM - Wow, how cool! You've met some interesting people. Since I saw your comment, I went back and re-googled because I'd remembered a sidebar to the YouTube I'd posted.

Sure enough, there was a clip from Newport '09 of Collins & Baez doing Diamonds & Rust (poor video/fair audio). While Baez can still sing OK, Collins' voice just soared over hers - she's definitely still got it.

Also came across a cool clip of Neil & Pegi Young performing Ian Tyson's Four Strong Winds from Live Aid 8 or somesuch.

Anonymous said...

Dont you mean Ron Chapman?

Dew

an Donalbane said...

Ron is his stage, or on-air, name.

maybe said...

very good and cool,thank you for your sharing.