Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Holed up in the cabin

Well, not really a cabin.  I just wish.

Word came at 5:45 this morning via group text that our office would open at noon.  At 8:15, it was updated to say the office would remain closed.

So, what does one do when it's an ARCTIC BLAST outside?

I decided, first, to sleep in a bit. 

Then I had a late breakfast.  A toasted half cinnamon raisin bagel with Neufchâtel cheese, fresh coffee, and an egg on toast with turkey slices, covered in chili, and a sprinkling of cheese.  Yum!

Then, reading the Dillon Precision catalog, cover to cover.  Of course, I was asking myself: "If I could afford a new super-progressive reloading outfit, why couldn't I just shoot factory ammo?"  So, for now, it's still the Lyman and Lee turret presses.  Still, one can dream (and drool).

Decided to take advantage of the down time to transcribe some old vinyl to MP3/CD.  Over the weekend, I'd borrowed some LPs from my Dad, stuff that we listened to, loudly, back in the, uh, early '60s through the '70s.  Dad was quite the hi-fi aficionado back then.  So, part of today was spent recording Harry Belafonte, Johnny Mann Singers, John Gary, Ted Heath & Edmundo Ros, and Kris Kristofferson to iTunes.

During the recording sessions, I was also monitoring the kitchen: A tuna casserole for lunch (and four leftovers to take to work), and a pot of beef/steak chili for dinner (with a similar number of leftover portions to put up for later).  At present a pound of huge (caps about 3" diameter) 'shrooms have been sautéed - these will find their way into spaghetti sauce and atop a steak tomorrow.

Dessert?  Southern Butter Pecan ice cream, with a small handful of cracked walnuts, some flax seed sprinkled over, and drizzled with a couple tablespoons of Kapali (similar to Kahlúa - hey, why didn't I think of that with my breakfast coffee?). 

Not a bad way to end the day.

No comments: