Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hot Wheels

The creator of the Hot Wheels cars, and co-founder of Mattel, has died.

This was probably my favorite car:


I saw one in an antique mall display case a few years ago, with a $35 price tag on it.

Most of my Hot Wheels cars were purchased at the Gibson's Discount store at the corner of O'Connor Road & Pioneer in Irving, Texas.   I later worked for a year or so at another Gibson's store when I was in high school.  At least one store remains, in Weatherford, though I don't know if it has any ties to the original Gibson family. 

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/07/22/3240410/elliot-handler-inventor-of-hot.html

4 comments:

el chupacabra said...

My favorite was the Red Baron which I found on EBAY for 33.00. It still floats up to the top of my stuff now and again.

el chupacabra said...

PS I bought all my Matchbox cars from Ben Franklin on the square in Decatur.
As I recall they were 25 cents each and they had a huge selection.

Todd Blair, Pastor said...

I went to my mom's house the other day and saw my great-nephew playing with the hundreds of Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars that i used to play with. Mom saved them all and he and I played with them like we were both 5.

an Donalbane said...

Todd, you really shouldn't lob softballs like that to me.

Yet I will resist the temptation...