Friday, July 8, 2011

Tool Time Tribulations (or, Technical Tales 101)

Sunday morning, as I awakened, I became aware of a faint whine emanating from outdoors, roughly from the area of the A/C compressor.

Ruh-roh! 

I hurried outdoors, rounded the corner of the house, and confirmed that in fact the noise was from my compressor, not the neighbor's. As I got close enough to look into the louvers to see if smoke was pouring out or something, it turned off.

Remember, it's Sunday. Independence Day weekend Sunday.

Hmmm. At this point I'm wondering if it just died, or if it had come to the end of the cycle. So, as you would have done, I went back inside to fetch a screwdriver, after shutting off the power at the service disconnect.
  • Screwdriver
Returning outside, I removed the sheetmetal covers from the unit.  No smoke.  When I'd gone inside, I'd lowered the thermostat to induce the next cycle, so I turned the power to the unit back on.

It runs!  Well, there's a relief.  I went back inside to make some breakfast for my middle son.

He wolfs down a home-made breakfast sandwich, and leaves to go to church when his mother stops by to pick him up.  The whine returns.  (No, that is not an editorial comment.)

Grabbing a can of spray lube (not WD-40, I said lube)  I went back out, shut off the power again, and tipped up the louver section.  No real lubrication points to squirt the spray.
  • Spray lube
Well, I'd better tackle this job now, before it's 100 degrees out and I lose my shade.  After drawing a diagram of the color codes and positions, I carefully disconnect the fan motor wires from the supply relay and the starter capacitor, with insulated pliers, and thread them out of the nylon ties and grommets.
  • Pliers
With the screwdriver, I remove the motor mounting base from the louver, and a raceway that protects the wires.  The fan motor is now free, but the blade will need to be removed, as two square head set screw/bolts attach it to the shaft.  I retrieve a crescent wrench.
  • Crescent wrench
Surface rust coats the motor shaft.  I spray the lube down the shaft, and also in the set screw holes.  It doesn't budge.  Need more tools.
  • Liquid wrench penetrant
  • Hammer
With the hammer I tap the fan blade - still no movement.  Actually, I succeed in tapping it closer, not away from the motor housing.  Bummer.  More tools.
  • 3-jaw gear pullers (three different ones, as I'm not sure which size will fit)
Adjusting the jaws to fit the blade flange, I tighten the center-point with the crescent wrench, and slowly the blade moves away from the motor housing, and comes free. With the screwdriver, I remove a small, stamped and press-fit cap from the shaft end of the motor.

The foam rubber filling that had formed sort of an oil bath for that end of the motor has disintegrated and needs to be cleaned out.  And it's not exactly something I'll find at The Home Depot.  So I go inside, looking for some craft felt sheets.  Found.
  • Craft felt
  • Q-tips
  • Scissors
I clean out the debris with Q-tips, and cut four donut shaped rings from the felt, to fill the cap, then press them into the motor housing, then liberally soak them with oil, and gently tap the retaining cap back into place.  Now for the motor tail cap.  Uh-oh, more tools.
  • 1/4" drive nut driver set
Removing the four bolts that hold the motor housing together, a tap of the hammer allows the motor tailpiece to come free.  Unlike the other end, no deteriorated foam.  Since this end will be up, I clean the arbor area, then go inside to get some grease.
  • Hi-temp grease
I pack the bushing area with the grease, and put a small dollop on the enclosed shaft end, then reassemble the motor housing, also attaching the sheet metal mounting plate.  I reattach the mounting plate to the louver, wondering if the wires will be safe from chafing on the sheet metal edges.  Back inside.
  • Heat shrink tubing
  • BBQ lighter
I cut some lengths of shrink tube for the areas that I feel may need protection, heat them, then reassemble the raceway.  Now to put the fan blade back on the shaft, but the rust is keeping it from sliding on.  Here we go again.
  • 4" grinder with knotted cup-brush
  • Extension cord
The cup brush makes quick work cleaning up the motor shaft, and with a bit of grease as protectant, the fan blade is reattached and secured.  The louver section is positioned, the wiring threaded into the adjoining relay area, reconnected, and powered up.

It runs!  No whining.  I give thanks to God.

But, now, in the vicinity of the A/C compressor, are:
  • Screwdriver
  • Spray lube
  • Pliers
  • Crescent wrench
  • Liquid wrench
  • Hammer
  • Gear pullers
  • Q-tips
  • Scissors
  • Nut driver set
  • Grease
  • BBQ lighter
  • Cup brush
  • Extension cord
Overall, I was pleased with the result.  Total elapsed time was maybe 75-90 minutes, much of it spent fetching tools that now need to be put away.

My conundrum is that I have a ton of tools, not necessarily stored in the most orderly fashion, and I wonder who's better off: The person who calls a repairman (bringing, and taking away, his own tools), or the person who has a tool for just about every contingency, just in case?

To be continued...

5 comments:

Answers? I don't know the questions. said...

You knew where to find the compressor? Is it that big box thingy that sets outside?

an Donalbane said...

Well, you know, I Googled A/C compressor, and it said: "Look for a big boxy thingy outside".

So I found one, in sort of a drab green color. It didn't have any signs saying it wasn't the A/C compressor, so I just sorta figured, "Why not give it a try..."

aroundthecorner said...

I'm the guy that has a tool for every job. Most of the time not knowing where they are at. Unless of course I put them away or put them back where they belong. Sometimes, I rant and rave and blame someone for borrowing them, when in reality, I didn't put it back where it should be.
Loved the story, it reminds me of one of my projects. I start with a screwdriver and end up with a tool box or tool bag full of tools to put up.
Oh......good fix BTW.

el chupacabra said...

Regardless homes you just saved yourself about 4-500.00 dollars. I say this since no tech. these days would be repacking anything and he'd break off a new motor in you.

So add 400.00 dollars to your I'm going to do something good for me someday account and pat yourself on the back!

Anonymous said...

You lost me at techical!

Dew